What to eat in the early hours when taking Prednisolone

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello to all of you who take your daily dose of steroids in the early hours of the morning. My question is this, what do you eat before hand and why is it necessary to take steroids with food? I usually take my daily dose, currently 6mg, somewhere between 8am and 9.30am but because my whole body aches such a lot within an hour of getting up and I feel so physically exhausted until around 2pm, sometimes longer, I wondered if taking the steroids around 4am when I usually have to get up for th loo, would help. I tried this last night with a few dry crackers and managed to go back to sleep until 7.45. I don't feel quite so tired today but the aches are still there although not so bad.. Maybe they are not PMR related. Any advice

welcome. Thank you.

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I get up for the loo about 4am too, so take mine when I wake between 4 - 5am. I put a small amount of low fat, plain Greek style yog in a small container with a teaspoon on my bedside table when I go to bed and try to down it quickly with the pred then try to get back to sleep. Usually I don't to be honest (rotten sleeper) but I get up with very little discomfort and this lasts for at least half the day before I give in to some paracetamol.

• Posted

Thank you. As many of you have suggested yoghurt I will try that tonight. Have certainly felt a lot better today, only achy for a couple of hours and still fine now at 8.45pm

• Posted

I take two thirds of pred at around 4am when I rise for the bathroom.  Always take up to bed a ramiken of organic natural yog flavoured with a spot of cinnamon/ginger with a few blueberries or raspberries to line the stomach.  Got to be better than munching on a dry cracker and better for you.   Then I go straight back to sleep till 7am.

• Posted

I usually wake up at around 5AM. Conveniently sitting on my night table is a Shrimp Cocktail with lots of cocktail sauce and a medium rare RIb-Eye steak with garlic mashed potatoes and creamed spinach. I eat this first and then I wash it down with a glass of cabernet along with the Prednisone. Then I go back to bed and awaken from my dream :-))
  • Posted

i started on 40mgs. and now I am completely done w/ prednisone. I used to take my meds by 9:00 a.m. with food, usually oatmeal or milk. I am kind of boring in that way. When I was on higher dosages until I got down to say 5 mgs. if I forgot to take my pills I got sort of whoozy. Not dizzy, but like oh-oh I forgot my meds and things don't seem right physically. I had the prednisone high and lots of energy. Woke up early and no grogginess, aches or pains. Not a great appetite either. Some things didn't taste right, which was not good in my book as I ran a restauratn with my husband. My taste was off. Had a bit of sweet tooth, that I needed to keep in check. I began to gain weight when I began to taper, it was water weight. Since, then I have lost all the weight gained and no symptoms. The extra energy was nice, but not worth the side effects of prednisone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.