What to eat prior to colonoscopy

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am scheduled to have a colonoscopy at 8.00am  on 3rd Nov. The preparation is Moviprep. As I have previously mentioned in earlier post I am not very good with taking this but have given myself a good talking to and will stop stressing over it. To make it easier on myself what foods should I be eating from now until the test? The less I have to clear out the better! Any words of wisdom much appreciated. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I think you will be given a det sheet of what you can eat beforehand, 2 members of my family had this and I am due to have one soon too. Good luck!
  • Posted

I recently had my second colonoscopy.  The instructions I received from QMC Nottingham were to avoid eating seeds, pips, seeded bread, tomatoes and sweetcorn 7 days before the procedure as well as to stop taking iron tablets, anticoagulants.

Two days prior eat only a low fibre diet: eggs (boiled/poached), white bread/toast, clear jelly (not red), potatoes (boiled and mashed, no skins), chicken, turkey, port, white rice and pasta, jam/marmalade (no bits), plain white fish (cod haddock), tea, coffee (black only), water, clear soup (transparent/seived), squash/cordial (not fruit juice)

Avoid: red meat, sausage, pies, butter, margarine, dairy products, fruit, veg, potatoes skins/chips, wholemeal bread/pasta/rice, nuts, pulses, beans, cream, salad, cakes, biscuits.

Drink plenty of fluids.

The last two days were particularly boring but I did stick to it and the effects of the  Moviprep were not as dramatic as my previous experience.

Like you I had to brace myself so I took 5 gulps of Moviprep followed by a couple of  sips of Sanpellegrino limonata - that cleared the taste of the Moviprep immediately.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Alice. You will be given a diet sheet to cover 3 or 4 days before the procedure. It's a bit bland - no milk, only white bread, gallons of water etc Apart from the large amounts of liquid you have to drink I found the diet very easy to follow. My top tip for taking the Moviprep is to drink it through a straw. 

Good luck. 

Jan

• Posted

Yes, as others have said, you should receive a diet sheet and follow a 'low residual diet.' I followed it exactly and they were very happy with my preparation. A nice clear bowel and no problems found. Hope all goes well! 
  • Posted

Thank you all for the advice. The recommendations I received are for 2 days prior to starting the prep so I thought I'd get ahead and start from today! The first colonoscopy I could only manage 1litre and a glass from the second litre but everything was "clear" and thankfully what I'd taken was enough for it to go ahead. Can't believe I've managed to work myself up over this!! White and bland for the next few days it is so. Again thank you all for the advice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.