What to Expect?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I sustained a trimalleolar fracture of my right ankle on 7/16/17 and underwent surgery three days later. I am due to go back to see my surgeon on Wednesday, 8/2, two weeks to the day after my surgery. I honestly don't know what to expect, and while I know that every injury is different, I was wondering if some of you "veterans" might be able to give some idea. I am 48 and live alone following my divorce with two dogs, ages 15 and 12. My friends were very helpful in the beginning, but I have been alone in the house for five days straight and am feeling very discouraged. Any insight is much appreciated.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You'll have your cast/splint off/replaced/be given the boot, and have sutures or what not out most likely. I had the same thing. Its good you have the company of pets if anything but you could probably use a little sunshine/social interaction. Do you go outside at least? If not, get out there and find something to prop your foot on and get some vitamin D. Sounds like you're in a rut in your recovery and it's totally normal. If you have it in your area, take an uber or a cab somewhere, since you probably can't drive yet, and go somewhere, anywhere, for 5 minutes (you'll most likely be uncomfortable very soon anyway) just to do it. It took me almost a week to leave the house and then I gradually increased my outings! Call somebody and tell them you're spending too much time cooped up, maybe you can just find someone to hang out with and ice and elevate 👌🏻So you're not all by yourself. There's always this forum too. This is a ling recovery and there are many ups and downs along the way.

• Posted

Dear Robert

I gave no idea what will happen apart from you may gave X rays to make sure every everything is still good.

It is strange how some people seem to forget one and it can be very lonely being stuck at home without human contact and interaction.

I've been very fortunate that a brother has rung me up every day when I needed support and an old mate now living in France has also been very attentive.

Perhaps you need to prompt family and friends?

Cheers Richard

• Posted

I'm 16 weeks since my fall. I had a plaster cast for first 2weeks. Had that removed and xrays taken into a cast for 3wks. And stitches removed. More xrays then into another cast for 4 weeks, then into a boot for 4 weeks. Now using 1crutch and was fully weight baring up until. Last Friday and because Im in so much pain, my physio has now told me to only do 75% weight baring to ease up on the walking without aids. Seem to of gone backwards these past few days. I'm the same as far as visits go, no one comes but I do have my 18yr old son at home most of the time because he still hasn't managed to find a full time job. But does do a lot of volenty work, so I spend a lot of alone time. Also have our dog molly to keep me company . I so miss my summer visits to the sea with my son. He's learning to drive and I have managed short journeys driving, but I'm so uncomfortable when I'm out I can't wait to get home. Think my anxiety has hit the roof when I'm out, all I think about is falling.... This had been the hardest thing I've ever had to go through. Anxiety stress and depressed.... Hope things start to change for you soon. We have a long haul in front of us. Sx

• Posted

Thank you, Chestnut, Richard, and Sandra for your very thoughtful responses. I'm afraid I have no family nearby, and everyone seems very busy with their own lives, which I understand. I wonder sometimes if this injury,  which has effectively put my life as I have known it for the past few years on hold indefinitely, isn't a cue of some kind to change my life. I have had a great deal of time to think and reflect lately. In any case, it means a great deal to know that there are folks out there who can give support and empathy. 

• Posted

It isn't until something like this happens that we realise how it can change your life in such a big way. Just standing at the sink to have a wash n clean teeth it takes it out of me. Then wanting a cup of coffee, and having to wait to see if anyone calls in to make one for you. Thank goodness I can now make and carry my own now. This had upset me in many ways ad far as family goes. My brother lives just 10mins away and hadn't even given my a phone call or called up to see me. I know he had his life and work long hrs but a call would go a long way. Always tell people that we don't live in each other's pockets but her for each other. How wrong I've been saying that over the years. Feel as if I have no time for many people now. Something like this definitely shows you where yr real friends are. Thank goodness for this forum, allowing us to ask questions and vent our concerns also have a good old moan. .

😔. Sx

• Posted

I agree that the smallest of tasks takes a great deal of time and energy. Sorry to hear that you're on your own also. My mother was from the West of Ireland and always said, "It's a great life if you don't weaken." I understand that saying much better now. It makes me terrified of growing old alone.

• Posted

Wih I could follow your mums words.... I always classed myself as a very strong woman. But over these past 10 years through illness and marrage problems it has sometimes redused me to a right wrack!!  You can still feel alone even when your married. Many times if wish i had the gutts to just leave, but it 60 its not as easy as people think. This injury defo hasnt helped as it has made me feel really low most of the time. And still have a very long way to go the ways things are going with mine....chin up orders to both of us....lol  sx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.