what to expect

Posted , 3 users are following.

My Dr has suggested a complete thyroid removal. Still haven't made up my mind to do it. But If I do what can I expect as far as changes to my lifestyle? I am 54 years old male, very active with running, biking and obstacle course racing. Main concerns are heart palpitations, weight gain and fatigue. Looking for all who have been there, done that. Please reply back.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You don't say why you need to have your thyroid removed - mine was enlarged and I was having chocking sensation at night - doctors told me it would mean I would be on a tablet for the rest of my life, this is true but he didn't tell me the other problems high blood pressure and all the other symptoms so think very carefully and check out other alternatives

• Posted

I already take meds for high blood and synthyroid. had a partial removal in 1996. a nodule has formed and is growing on the thyroid. it has grown a1/2 centimeter this year. he thinks it will continue to grow. but i feel good and am very active, escpicially for a 54 yr old. what else can i expect from this type of surgery and thew aftermath ?
  • Posted

My wife had a total removal a few years ago. She had a few weeks with a horse voice before it came back to nearly normal.

It took about 6 months to get the thyroxine and calcium levels correct but since then, no real issues.

We travel and are active. Keeping the thyroxine cool while traveling is the biggest issue and that's easy enough to sort out.

I had a total removal 10 days ago and my energy levels etc seem reasonable for such a short time after the op. The starting dose of thyroxine must be close to correct.

My problem is my voice. The best I can manage is a whisper and multi-syllable words are very difficult.

I expect my voice will be  a slow recovery - as in months.

The ENT surgeon will have a look next week but I am pretty certain that the vocal cords are working, just not very well.

I had chronic laryngitis before the op so I don't expect miracles.

It's too early to tell if the parathyriods are OK so I don't know if I will need the calcium permanently.

One less pill to pop would be nice.

Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.