What to expect from increase from 20mg to 40mg

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi, 

I've been on citalopram for 6 weeks now for depression

1 week 10mg

5 week 20mg

I've slowly improved over the weeks from being unable to leave the house and crying all day to being able to go out and do things if I force myself but still only maybe 50% of who I was before depression.

I've been advised yesterday to increase my citalopram to 40mg, when I started 20mg from 10 I was in a bad way, pretty much suicidal, I'm not sure if it was the increase or just my depression and loss of hope as I'd went months suffering before starting medication.

I have plans this weekends and have decided to wait til Monday to up my dose just incase the anxiety or any other side effects come back.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience jumping from 20mg to 40mg and what I should expect. 

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It's good to hear from some who had the same dosage increase.

I've been on the dose 5 days now and I'm feeling ok so far no side effects so will stick with it and hope that my depression doesn't go downhill and improves to the point where I feel back to myself 

• Edited

i have been on 20 mg for about a year now the winter time and the change in weather throws me off a little bit. so my doc increased me from 20 to 40. i have been doing 30 instead of 40. i honestly feel like i am starting all over on the medication.

i hope the side effects go away soon. It seems odd that the increase in dosage does the exact opposite of what you are hoping to accomplish... but nonetheless.... here we are 😃

• Posted

hello how are you today? im on week 6 of increasing my citalopram to 30mg. its been a rollacoaster of a journey!

• Edited

Hi Hate how you doing on the 30mg?

I was on 20mg doc put me on 30mg for 5 weeks then upped to 40mg!

I was on 20mg for 9 years and they have been amazing but since I've gone up to 40.. I feel worse! few good days in between but feeling tired and like foggy head pressure! xx

• Posted

Hi Claire,

My wife suffers from Anxiety and Panic disorder doc put her on 20mg of Celexa then up it to 40mg after 4 weeks. her anxiety is through the roof now and not sleeping.

She is not herself.

Does it get better? What were your symptoms?

• Posted

can you tell me your side effects? my wife went from 20 to 40 2-3 weeks ago and shes struggling

• Posted

Hi Butch sorry for late reply.. I felt awful on 40mg.. they do say it can take a while to work.. I went back to the doctors and changed to sertraline I've been taking it 3 half weeks and I'm definitely seeing a difference. I could even begin to think about holidays the other week.. but last night I booked 2 for this year so that amazing for me!.. how is she doing now? x

• Posted

I was just upped from 20 to 30 4 weeks ago. I have anxiety on the change but I assume it is all side effects. seems medicine to make us better wouldn't make us feel worse at first. Good luck.

• Edited

I can't imagine an increase that drastic. I'm not a doctor... but a mere 5mg increase from 10mg to 15mg has been very uncomfortable for me, so I can't imagine jumping from 20mg to 40mg! Maybe seek a second opinion? I wish you all the best...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.