What to expect from withdrawal?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I’ve been on escitalopram (2.5mgs) for about 2 1/2 weeks. I’ve had non stop GI issues and my dr feels it’s most likely from the medicine. He told me to stop taking it. He said there was no need to try to cut down or taper to just stop and I’ll be fine.  Should I expect withdrawal symptoms? If so how long do they normally last?? Should I attempt to taper down to 1.25?? Any advice on this is appreciated. 

Thanks! 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi! You will probably have mild withdrawals, like dizziness or headache. And if you can bear it, tough it out, drink lots of water and herbal tea to help. But you haven't taken it that long AND you're on a very low dose. So I dont think you'll experience bad withdrawals. If you do have withdrawals (everyone is different) , you can taper your dose to every other day for a week then every 2-3 days for another week.... until you feel no withdrawal.

That being said, are you looking to try another medication for anxiety and depression? Like I said, everyone is different and react differently to medications.... So you might have better luck with a new medication. Nausea is a pretty common side effect, unfortunately. God bless you and I hope you begin to feel better!

• Posted

Thanks for the response! I’m not sure if I’ll try another at this point. It’s been a rough 2 1/2 weeks. I’ve pretty much had diarrhea everyday since and am having a hard time eating and am losing weight quickly so that’s why I’m stopping. My gi track is just a complete mess and I need to get it back to normal before we consider anything else.. 

thanks for your help on this! God bless you too! Praying for no withdrawal symptoms 🙏🏻

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.