What to expect on my first Dermatologist appointment ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am new to this forum so I am not sure on the correct & exact place to place this post

Recently I had a really bad all over body itching problem was mainly worst on my back so of course naturally I went to check my back in the mirror not that you can see much because its my back

but I saw I had what look like normal regular spots & freckles whatever you want to call them so I went to my GP to get them checked to make sure there not linked with this itching issue which I believe I have stopped with improved hygiene it seems to have gone so far

all my Gp said at the time (without sounding concerned) she said there was one on my back that is a normal color but a funny shape so she has referred me to a dermatologist appointment for this Monday coming up so I am having to wait about 2 weeks so of course so far during this time I have been worrying & stressing a lot even though I should not be but I understand that this is only normal but I cant help myself annoying the anxiety/stress most of the time giving me that feeling in pit of your stomach like you have done something wrong that kind of feeling

What can I expect to happen on my very first appointment what will they say & do etc ?

doe's not help the stress while at same last several morning I get up my ears are feeling bunged up & hearing muffled might be stress because of the wait or something else but I am getting that checked out tomorrow

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Daniel,

At your first appointment, they will probably hand you a gown and check all over your body for moles or other growths.  If they find anything suspicious, they may take a scraping or cutting for purposes of a biopsy.

Before you see the doctor, they may ask you about your previous medical history, what medications or over the counter drugs, herbs or supplements you take.  It would be a good idea to make yourself a list of what you take, when you take it, and how much.  

It was very smart of you not to take any chances, but to go see your doctor! Try not to worry.

Good luck, and let me know how you do! 

• Posted

My itching I believe is gone as I now perform improved hygiene showering every couple of days & washing normally every other day in between

including washing the back during showering & washing I even went & got a stick from B&Q and attached a sponge to it so i can reach my back whilst washing & showering

the itching has gone & receded to normal levels of itching at least that is what I call so I am happy that has gone

it is plausible that with the itching I experienced with all the rubbing & scratching from various ways & methods that happen intentional or not that could of caused this spot to be Miss-shappen I am hoping not that i can see it myself clearly because of where it is 

but Yes I still have the appointment coming up this Monday 12/12/2016 15:30 & still intend to get it checked out anyway & will update everyone here regardless of the outcome 

I am trying to keep myself occupied in the meantime lucky I have work this Thurs,Fri,Sat & I am at my dads on Sun so most of the time I will be occupied but I am sure I will still worry some more

• Posted

I hope they can tell me there & then at least if its obvious that I am safe I don't think I could cope with another wait that feels long

• Posted

Hi, Daniel,

I'm glad that you're doing better.  Usually dermatologists know right away what they need to biopsy.  But, if they do, remember that you've been proactive about this, so you have a good chance that all will be well.

Let me know how you get on!

• Posted

Just came back from appointment & all is well they looked at my back with a light/magnifier thingy & said nothing to worry about pigmentation is normal & something about it being shaped like south africa  whichever way around makes sense 

mentioned the itching & they said to just use histamine tablets but they seemed happy & checked twice they checked my arms back & front  I think to 

• Posted

Glad to learn you got an all clear.  Now that you've started in seeing a Dermatologist, you might want to consider continuing to go annually...just in case.

Thanks for letting me know!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.