What to look out after an ablation?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm going to have mine on the 3rd of September. I'm worried. I have infrequent episodes, but I want the procedure because if I do something physical it can trigger an episode (I do not work because of this reason). What should I look out after the procedure, how long does it take to heal?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi, the only thing i aas interested in was them telling me they couldnt start SVT so it was successful!!

After youll be quite tired and it can take a few months to feel more alert but if youre not working you may heal so much quicker.

You may get some skipped beats and palpitations but that should be all.

Just take it easy youll know when you need to rest, for me it was after a few minutes of standing for the first few days.

I hope your ablation is a success and it would be great to hear back from you after.

All the best and dont be worried youll be fine ☺

• Posted

Dominika, the most remarkable part of my post ablation recovery was how unremarkable recovery from both of my ablations was. I resumed normal activity (long, fast walks in hot and humid, Florida weather) and resistance training in just a few days. I encourage you to follow the advice given to you by your health-care people, and expect to do quite well. I wish the very best for you.

• Posted

hey Dominika, thr biggest thing i noticed were ectopic beats. they were more frequent in the first few months but its been 14 months and i hardly notice them anymore. i'm fit and exercise vigorously and regularly, like gene mentioned i was able to start back in my exercise within a couple of weeks post ablation. my biggest thing was anxiety. this was mt first surgery and im highly analytical so probably a personality thing. either way, that wasnt directly related to my heart, instead my mind. Good luck! As xiam mentioned, a successful ablation is when they cannot stimulate an SVT manually, after theyve ablated the extra circuit.

• Posted

i had my ablation october 2018. my leg was painful where they had gone in for a few days but was fine after that. for me ectopic beats were worst thing as any movement/bending set them off but i have always had a problem with them so maybe thats why i was so bad. some improvement after 6 momths.

9 months after ablation my svt came back. they do warn you that rarely after ablation even very successful ones the heart can heal itself too well in a way. sadly i am one of the rare ones.

if you need to ask/talk after your ablation just come on here. i got great support after mine here.

• Posted

You don't work due to SVT even though you have infrequent episodes? Couldn't you find something non-physical to do? Do you claim disability benefits?

• Posted

I live abroad and I don't speak the language good so I can only do jobs like cleaning (at least 6 hours a day) and that's too much with this condition.

• Posted

Hi guys! Sorry for not being active after the ablation. It was successful, I had concealed WPW. I had my 6 week follow up and my echo, holter and ekg were good. I only suffer from bad skipping beats (had 2 new discussions yesterday), and it's really bothering me because I haven't had this many before the procedure. There is a period when I don't have them, and then for a few days almost all day (I'm in that period now). It's not doing good for my anxiety. EP and cardiologist say that it's normal, so I try to not panic too much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.