What to pack for 3 day stay: Rectocele repair in 2 days time

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi what are some essentials for 3 day hospital stay? I also wonder what to not bother packing. Appreciate your help. (triple rectocele repair surgery)

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Comfortable clothes to come out of hospital in x 1

Pjs or similar to wear while you’re there x 3

Underwear and pads x 3 days worth

Toiletries 

Phone and phone charger

Book/magazines

Money/change for shop or vending/drink machine

This is what I took for a similar trip, minus the book and magazines which I regretted as the tv reception was pretty ropey so I was quite bored!

Can’t think of anything not to bother with, tho one annoyance was the electrical socket was in an awkward place so I needed an extra long charger as otherwise I had to move when my phone beeped which was uncomfortable with a catheter, oxygen etc attached!

A hand held fan might be useful this time of year too unless your hospital has good air conditioning!

• Posted

Light night dress because u may need a catheter

And your toiletries.

Phone charger

That's all u need.

Maybe some magazines and a good book.

Best of luck!

• Posted

Ensure that you have good pain management. If not you are going to ache like hell. If the pain management is good you are going to be high as hell, and last but not least you have to unrinate because you could go help, and if not you would have to go home with a catheter. Oh, the next day the nurses are going to make you walk around so you want develop bloodcots.
    • Posted

Would they send you home with a catheter?

I had these things on my legs to prevent blood clots, like the automatic blood pressure machines, squeezing my legs every now and then.

• Posted

Only if you can’t pee with 24 to 48 hours. Since your hospital stay is three days you should be able to pee by then. My hospital stay was one day and if I could per before I was omitted they would have catheter me. 
  • Posted

Pack a night dress not PJ s because you will have a catheter for first overnight and nurses and surgeon will want to check you ‘down there’.  Two ladies in beds next to me had to send home for nighties. Helps if your bowels are empty before surgery.

Best of luck.

• Posted

I had hospital gown on until the catheter came out, wasn’t out of bed until then either, didn’t  know you could walk around with a catheter in, sounds uncomfortable.
    • Posted

After they remove it, they will make you walk around the hall. I’m was hospitalized for one day after my rectocele surgery so the next morning they removed it, it took me 15 mins to pee then they prompted me to walk around after I peed.
  • Posted

I was in hospital for three dayss and had shower and changed out of hospital gown the next morning. Had ward docs and nurses check during the days and  surgeon  checked up on me also, so found nightdress easier to deal with.
    • Posted

Apart from when the catheter was removed I didn’t have anyone look down below.

But I had a hysterepexy so nothing to see from the outside, all the stuff done was internal.

• Posted

I was checked for amount of bleeding and distended abdomen several times during 3 days. Surgeon came every day also. I must say I did have great care, staff were very attentive,  can’t imagine how some ladies have been discharged on same day. Blood pressure was checked every few hours, also pulse and oxygen levels. Hope everyone gets back to 100% soon.
    • Posted

Yes out in one day is way too quick!

I was out by Wednesday after going in on Sunday.

Can’t imagine coming out same day!

• Posted

I had great pain management therefore I wasn’t in pain when I left, I was able to unrinate so I was able to go home. I healed very quick and now I’m in my six month of recovery, and I’m doing great??💕

• Posted

All of the said items mentioned , plus those sanitary towels the cheap thick ones that won’t  make you sweat, (Sainsbury’s own brand )also some good cream for down there something like drapolene or benthopan to help it get sore xx 
    • Posted

Yes I was told to keep it very dry but ag one point when what they shaved was growing back itch got to me and i feared ingrowns so I used galaxal base cream which is safe for there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.