What type of low-dosage antibiotic?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm so fed up of UTIs.  I feel ill before them, lousy while the infection takes hold and uncomfortable afterwards, when the bladder is obviously still irritated.  I worry when I've got things planned, or on days out.  A UTI has ruined things in the past, as I've had to return home quickly.  Depending what happens when I see the GP - I may be re-referred to the urologist - I want to ask about taking a low-dose antibiotic.  This was suggested to me by a urologist a few years ago, but was never mentioned again.

If others are on low-dose antibiotics, what sort is usually prescribed?  I usually take Trimethoprim for infections.  Do they really mean no more UTIs?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I take celalexin 250 mg 1 a day .since taking them I am UTIs free. The gynecologist perscriped them.

I found trimethorin didn't work for me .

• Posted

I was referred to a urologist by my gp due to ongoing and recurrent UTI. He put me on a low dose antibiotics trimethoprim for 2 months, all was well whilst I was on this but as soon as I came off the next day I got a bad UTI. He put me back on this course for another 2 months, if was all going well again until ear the end and I got UTI whilst I was on the antibiotics. 

Since then hen and for about the last 3-4 months I have been taking a daily dose of d mannose which is a natural sugar. I take 1 tsp every morning and one after sex. My Utes have reduce and have only had one about once a month. When I do get a UTI I take this every few hours and they have all cleared up on their own. I would not be able to live without this now.

not sure if this helps, but my urologist was not that helpful and I have found this out on my own.

• Posted

Thank you Berry81168.  That's very interesting.  I'm going to discuss it all with my GP tomorrow and see where I go from there, but it's always useful to be aware of other options.  

As I always bleed with a UTI - something the consultant was concerned about, but which I understood was relatively common - I'm expecting him to refer me back to the urologist.  I've also got two kidney stones which the urologist is monitoring, so I think it will probably be a good thing.

All the best.  I hope the D Mannose continues to work for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.