What type of stretching can you do after bi lateral hip replacements.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a THR in April on the right side and a THR on the left side in June and a dislocation on the left in June what type of stretches are helpful. I am so stiff. I want to begin jogging slowly but my knees will barely bend. Any advise?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

it's going to really be up to your physio/GP/consultant to actually give you the go ahead to run/jog but supposedly its good to exercise in water it causes less impact on the body and joints, ask if you can be referred for hydrotherapy its amazing or if you don't have a pool nearby then a swimming pool is ok but make sure you start off gentle.

Didnt they give you a list of exercises you could do

• Posted

I wouldnt think any jogging advisable

definitely swimming helped me

gentle bends half way at first ( i steadied myself holding onto window sill x2 a day at least and walking gently building up each day i had both done at same time

• Posted

Hi Dawn,

Your a hero, I wanted both done at the same time but the doc spaced them out. Thank you i have been walking in pool some I agree it does help.

• Posted

aww thanks I feel very lucky to have had a great experience but cant stress enough doing exercises regularly x

• Posted

Hi babygurl,

I do not think running is a good idea after a thr. I think you are brave having a second replacement in June, I had mine in April and would never have been ready for another after two months, I was still on precautions. Maybe, doing more walking is better at the moment, especially as you had a dislocation. Best not to overdo it.

• Posted

Hi Jen,

Yes I have been doing lots of walking to build up my strength, I was amazed at how weak I have become so quickly and the dislocation was the worst pain and experience of my life thus far.

• Posted

Babygurl,

Maybe, adding the clam and bridge exercises into your routine, there are good exercises online for recovering after a thr.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.