What use are Forum members making of patient access with their GP surgery? ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Using (EMIS) Patient Access with your GP Surgery. 

Patient Access lets you use the online services of your local practice. These may include arranging appointments, repeat medication, secure messages, medical record and updating your details. 

What use are Forum members making of patient access? 

Our GP practice had an online system that allowed me to make appointments, request repeat and other prescriptions and see medical records including referrals, test results with GP comments. There were some other items that they had not activated. 

Recently they said that they were going over to a new improved system and the old one was discontinued and the practice more or less came to a halt while it was installed and staff learnt it.  

We  found that most of the old items were not available or activated. The worst part was that if you had an appointment with a nurse it did not allow you make an appointment with a doctor. So patients with regular appointments with a nurse for dressings or INR were left in limbo. This week we found that even our two minute appointments for Flu jabs prevented making a GP appointment. 

I had initially asked the practice manager about the lack of facilities in the new system. She told me that was how the system is and they cannot make any changes to it and that the same applies to all practices in the area. 

I looked at the EMIS web site and found instructions for patients on how to use the system and it showed options for making separate appointments with a nurse, GP or others. I E-Mailed the practice again with a link to the EMIS link but was again told that they cannot make changes to the system. I then had correspondence  with EMIS who said in separate replies: 

“Your surgery can contact us directly for any assistance with your account.  Please advise your surgery because they are the only people who can make changes to your account” 

“Your practice do control how they use the system in the best interest of their patients so you will need to contact them back as there is limited more we can advise”   

I forwarded that to the practice manager and await her reply. Of course from previous experience I know that they are not very computer literate.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

We are unable to even make a face to face appointment with GPS in North Devon. We never get further than the receptionist who then gives dr message, he then rings to consult over the phone. My argument is, where will this end ? rolleyes
    • Posted

That is absolutely shocking. I assume that you cannot change doctors. There is a complaints procedure via the practice or if you prefer via NHS England.

How does a practice that does not see their patients pass their Care Quality Commission review ?  

• Posted

I agree, I have been making enquiries as to the chance of seeing a gp privately, but you have to have a referral i’m Sure, so no chance there.

hope you have more luck with your problems with the NHS.

• Posted

Our system is exactly the same, totally useless.  If you have an appointment for the practice room nurse, this prevents you making an appointment with the GP.  Also, if your appointment maybe doesnt suit and you want to change it, you cant !  You have to cancel the original, log on and hope in the meantime there are alternative appointments available , otherwise you have lost both your original and the new one as it won't let you check or make another appointment if you already have one showing !  

• Posted

I've looked at the web sites of other practices in my area and they all seem to have them working as they should.

After over three months our one has done nothing to make it work as it should.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.