What was the main reason your hysterectomy was needed?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

Ive been diagnosed with a few ovarian cysts that are sometimes described as complex, sometimes dermoid and sometimes haemorrighic (sp?). My CA125 results shot up last month so my Gyno sent me for a CT scan which i am getting the results from on Monday.

I havent been able to eat or sleep through all of this due to the worry of cancer and have made myself quite unwell stresswise even though Ive tried desperately not to.

Im actually really hoping they decide to take everything out as i dont think i could stand this torment again but im not sure if thats the route they will take if theres nothing else to be seen on the CT scan other than the cysts they know about.

Could anyone give me a clue as to the main reasons a hysterectomy is given and do you think if i opt for one im likely to get one?Im 38 and have grown up children so wont want anymore xxx

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I'm having one on 6th October mainly for very heavy periods and pain. I had raised ca125 as well. I'm 42 and have children . My issue was I got a blood clot in last two pregnancys so I'm not able to have any other options like pill etc to help periods. Did try mirena coil but I bled constantly.  I'm not sure the reasoning a hysterectomy would be offered. With myself I think it was more no other options available ,

Love Louise x

• Posted

Thankyou for sharing this with me Louise. Do you mind if i ask how elevated your CA125 was?
    • Posted

Hi ,

My ca125 was first 44 then got more every time they retested. They said it was growing due to the endometriosis. Had ok smears. I think they say it's elevated any amount over 35 but it can get into the 1000,s apparantly xx

• Posted

If you are sure you don't want more children then I would push for an hysterectomy.  I had one at the end of June because of a large cyst and it was the best thing I did, no more worry of cysts, no more worries of womb cancer or cervical cancer.  The operation went great I was scared stiff originally but if I had to have it again wouldn't bother me a bit.  The only thing I can think of why they might be skeptical is that you won't have been through the menopause yet but I already was post menopausal so it was an easier decision and my consultant recommended it.    

I had a cyst when  I was 28 and my CA125 was high apparently and I was told it could mean cancer.  I don't know how high cos I didn't ask but I was worried sick and I had the cyst and left ovary out and thankfully everything was absolutely benign so the CA125 test isn't a reliable test so please try not to worry xxx

• Posted

Thankyou Janet. Thats very helpful. Im certain i dont want more children as my 2 are 20 and 18 so Im 100% sure im done with all that lol.

I think Im going to go for the hysterectomy if at all possible. Although i know the CA125 is notoriously unreliable its what has frightened me the most sad

• Posted

Hi I had mine at 46 for fibroids had no choice really but best thing I ever did. Hope that helps 
    • Posted

Hi yes the pain was awful a really grinding pain which took them ages to find out what it was. I found a lump in the groin area which was obviously the fibroid and got really frightened and it kept getting bigger so I ended up looking about 7 months pregnant and when it was finally taken out it was melon sized. But all ok no cancer very scary time.  But best thing I did I also did not take hrt afterwards . 
    • Posted

Was that a personal decision (the hrt bit)? Im not too knowledgeable on that sinde of things to be honest.
  • Posted

Hi I also did not know anything about hrt when I had the hysterectomy but assumed the ovaries would keep the hormones going. That's what I understood from my gynaecologist . I had the operation and just carried on as normal.  Having read now what ladies have been urged to take after a hysterectomy I'm so pleased I wasent offered hrt then as I really don't like the side effects and when you stop taking it you still have to go through all the symptoms you have stopped. 

It's a personal choice and if I'm honest I had two huge wobbles where I would have taken anything to stop the symptoms I was experiencing but the things I tried my system didn't like so it was short lived less than a week . Now I read up on what hrt can give you as sude effects and I personally don't want to go there as I could be the one who gets the side effect!! Or not ! But that's my choice. For others it's the best thing they ever did. We all have to make a choice which suits how we feel. Hope that helps. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.