What was your first HS experience?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Was it recognized right away as HS? How old were you?

I must have been 10 years old. Was out camping with my family and some acquaintances. A few boils developed on the inner thighs somewhere between the drive there or at the camping site. They seemed to come out of nowhere. At the time I didn't know what was causing such horrible pain.

Going to the bathroom in a port-a-poti without the comforts of home seemed to make matters worst. By the time we drove home, they'd grown in size. I was too embarrassed to tell my parents about what was going on between my legs.

I couldn't take the pain any longer.

We went to the ER and the Dr prescribed a cream that worked like a charm. I can't recall the name of it now, unfortunately.

Several months later, the boils came back. Painful, messy and even more embarrassing. By this time, my older sister would tease and call me names related to my skin. I learned to suffer silently and try to treat them myself, behind closed doors- lancing, washes, compresses.

30 years later, a proper diagnosis.

Before this, I've intermittently enjoyed several months of zero outbreaks on the thighs and groin. A little pimple here and there, but not a lot of boils or abscesses. My inner thighs were scarred and hyper pigmented but I'd learn to expect those random outbreaks. My normal.

It wasn't until 2 years ago, that the first armpit abscess developed. The armpit breakouts prompted me to finally see dermatologists on a regular basis.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

mine started about 20 years ago & am now 47,i used to get them alot in the groin & went back & forth the gp surgery ,they would give me a course of antibiotics & it would go,fill up & been the same ever since,for the past 10 years i get it under my arms too ,i have learnt to treat themself with warm compresses & antibacterial cream,the scarring is awful & it was about 4 years ago that a consultant diagnosed me with h/s

• Posted

Very hard to determine since had issues simular. I think started 3 years ago I am 55. But one dermo told me what I had, I actually had to tell other dermos I had it. Most are clueless and prescribe antibiotics that do nothing for me.

The thigh thing might be bacteria. Monastat helps there.

I have been in control for almost a year now. I stopped heavy sugar foods like sodas and cakes etc. That seems to have stopped any more forming. I had a few on waste that kept coming back backing soda and water dried most up. I had been on acutane for a month recently and that stuff really cleared almost everything. You need to be on it 6 months for long term results.

You feel like hell while on acutane and your face gets all red and skin dries.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.