What was your herpes timeline?

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi all,

Ive been doing a lot of reading and havent found much regarding timeline of herpes first outbreak.

I thought it might be a good discussion topic for those who are recently diagnosed as it scary to wonder how long youll be in agony for!

Mine goes like this:

Last monday night i had a little pain - i had sex that night and by tues morning i was in quite a lot of pain to touch. From memory a little itching as well.

On wednesday i started getting fever and flu symptoms and still had a raw pain and itchiness. I thought it was a uti.

Thursday i was in a lot of pain and had a small amount of discharge which was odourless, and when i got home from work i noticed a couple of pimple like bumps on my labia and around the vulva and rectum. This is when i started suspecting herpes after some googling.

On friday morning i went to the docs and she confirmed it was herpes. I started valtrex that morning (2 a day for 10 days and 1 afterwards).

On saturday the pain was even worse - i was turning on the shower when i needed to pee to eleviate some pain (its now sunday and im still doing this). Im still in a lot of pain, but my sores have been seeping fluid for 2 days so im hoping im almost up to the crusting/scabbing stage.

I have been on valtrex for 3 days and taken 6 tablets.

Ive read that after 2-3 days of valtrex most people start to feel relief from symptoms - what did other people experience with valtrex?

3 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My herpes if GHSV1, and I'm sure that it was at least the 10 days after starting meds when I started getting relief. I cried for 15 minutes at every bathroom trip. That's how I remember how bad and how long the pain lasted. It seems everyone is different though.

• Posted

I have been practicing celibacy for almost 11 years now, and I was just diagnosed in late October of last year with gHSV.

I had my "first" outbreak a couple of years ago.  Fever, nausea, headache, dizzyness, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes in neck, vaginal & anal pain, smelly vaginal discharge, itchy skin (legs and arms). 

Doctors could not figure out what was wrong with me.  At the time, I was diagnosed with BV and a yeast infection.  I was prescribed metronidazole, and diflucan (which did not work), and the gyno that I was seeing at the time laughed off the other symptoms as if I was exaggerating an illness.

After the first treatment didn't work, I was then prescribed amoxicillin which alleviated the symptoms.

I first noticed a bump in my genital area about 5 or 6 months before my diagnosis.  The bump was really tiny, I mean so small that sometimes I could barely even find it.  Not too long after I discovered it, I got a medium sized bump on the mons pubis.  It was itchy, and I was convinced that it was a bug bite.  I was scratching it, and picking with it (yes, I know that that is disgusting), and it broke open and bled.  There was no puss or anything like that, just blood, which further conviced me that it was a bug bite.  

I started having vaginal odor again, so I went back to the gyno who did a swab for bv & yeast, and did STD testing.  When I came back for my results he prescribed metronidazole and told me that I have an old herpes infection.

Since my diagnosis, the outbreaks have been awful.  Vaginal itching, pain, odor, an itchy butt crack, that same tiny little bump, and now a HUGE painful one as well.  I also have the flu like symptoms.

I'm in search of a new gyno because I'd like to start antivirals.

• Posted

That sounds awful! I hope you find a much kinder and proactive gyno asap.
    • Posted

Thank you. 

Have you spoken to your doctor about the Valtrex?  Maybe you need a higher dosage.

• Posted

Ive just been back today and shes given me panadiene forte which has taken the edge off. She said the valtrex may take up to 10 days to work.

But ive just tried putting tea tree oil on the sores and its soothed them quite a lot! Definitely helpful.

• Posted

Good!  I'm glad that you have some relief.

• Posted

Its been 10 months since I've been diagnosed with HSV2. My first OB was my worst OB i only had 2 more since the first one and that was last yr none this year.

My TL goes

Had sex 2 days later i was sore but i thought it came from rough sex. Day 3 irritation still didn't think nothing until i looked down their and lost my mind. I never seen nothing like it it was a bunch of bumps looked like little white heads.

I went to the ER and the doc told me it could be herpes but wasn't sure so they did the test but didn't give me no medicine. I had to wait 5 days for my result. Worse 5 days of mt life.

I was in so much pain. It was painful to pee, sit and sleep it was so bad i would hold my pee for hours. I went back to the ER 2 days later bc i was in so much they had to give me something.

My results were back in before the 5 days and i had HSV2 i was devastated i cried so hard. They gave me acyclovir i took 3 for 10 days by day 3 the pain was gone and the blisters started clearing up. Day 5 my blisters were gone. I did other stuff too.

• Posted

When I found out that I had ghsv, I cried too.  I still cry about it sometimes, but deep down, I know that I'm gonna be okay.

We're ALL gonna be okay.  We'll figure out how to live with this virus while living happy, meaningful, fulfilling lives.

• Posted

Yes I'm way better then i was 9months. I cried for the first week after that i had to get myself together. I just thank god it's nothing that can end my life. It sucks we have to live with this but hey we can't keep crying over spilled milk.

I did so much research on this. I take Vitamin C, Lysine, B Complex and another herb i can't spell it but I'll give it to you guys. I take those things everyday say a prayer and go on about my day.

Please don't beat up and blame yourself about this. I don't know how I've accepted this and deal with it so well, i feel stronger than I've ever felt. Everything will be ok just take 1 day at a time.

I'm here if you ever have a moment remember you're not alone.

Xoxo Tiff

• Posted

Thank you Tiff smile

I think one of the most helpful things in dealing with it has been reading posts from people like yourself. It makes a huge difference not to feel alone!

I found the ice pack to help a lot too, as well as betadine cream in the beginning when i was struggling to move due to dryness.

Im up to day 5 on valtrex and finally seeing some improvement. Its still painful but half of the blisters have almost cleared up and i can go to the loo without excrutiating pain.

On the home stretch i hope!

• Posted

No problem! I agree reading people stories on here is mind blowing. I love reading the positive outcomes like its so many ppl thats happyliy married with children with this virus...well i like to call it a skin disorder bc thats really what it is.

Just read up on it. I don't take NO medication. I did with my first OB but i didn't like the way it made me feel. I have so many home remedies i do, and so many vitamins i take. I don't think about at all i feel so normal and you will get there i promise. Tell yourself everything will be ok everyday.

My only thing i have a problem with is telling someone. I only told 3 of my close friends and they helped me out alot. It's nobody business so i will never share this with no one. Whenever i start dating someone and we get serious i will tell him hopefully hes not ignorant to the skin disorder.

Your still awesome don't ever forget it.

Xoxo Tiff

• Posted

Today was day 6 of the antivirals and 7-8 since the blisters formed and i finally have relief! Still sore and uncomfortable, and still have to grit my teeth when i need to pee but oh god i feel so much better!

So glad its almost over!

• Posted

I'm sorry I'm super late. I promise you it gets better. I just remember a yr ago i was devastated but now i barely think about it. The only time is when i have a OB and i only had 4 in total 2 last year and 2 this year.

How are you guys now!

• Posted

Dear, can you tell me the best way to reduce recurrent attacks. Is it by medicine or by lysine or others??

I am a newly diagnosed man. 

Thank you in advance

• Posted

The medicine helps build your immune system and it's also a skin vitamin. You can take the medicine they give you, but me personally i didn't like the way it made me feel so i stopped taking them after my first OB. I searched home remedies to help my OB and so far the Lysine and B complex is doing me good. I also drink alot of water. I only wear cotton underwear. The supplements don't stop the OBs from coming but it help build your immune system. I tried so many things before i settled with these 2 daily vitamins. It's been 2 yrs now and i haven't had a OB in almost a year.

Just take 1 day at a time and see what works for your body bc everybody is different. Whatever you do please don't stress ik it's earier said then done bc i still don't know how i deal with it so well. I just refuse to let it control my life.

• Posted

How you deal with your sex life?

Thank you for replying

• Posted

bit late to the party, but ive got around 70 inner blisters, every time i pee i could climb the walls im in that much! ive been on antivirals for 4 days and noticed the blisters 6 days ago and i feel like it just keeps on getting worse not better

• Posted

I've registered all to reply to your comment because man, I've recently had a trip to the clinic, I'm waiting for results but both me and doc know its herpes, I've been walking around the house like looking like a possessed monster because it hurts so bad to walk and you've given me the first giggle I've had since being house bound with this excruciating pain as i too have been sitting here holding my wee for a while as i cant bare the fifth soak in the tub of the day! its not a laughing matter i know but if i don't, i may cry!

• Posted

how are you feeling now? im on day 7 and in so much pain! have you had any other outbreaks?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.