What we all feel

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there, my name is Cris and it's now 8 weeks since both my knees were replaced, I thought I would list a few things of post op recovery and see if these ring true with any one. 1) the deep seated bone on bone pain within my knee has gone-any pain is now either due to flexibility or scar tissue areas. 2) both the outsides of my knees are still numb,but the insides have feeling. 3) It feels like I have 2 thickish scar lumps above my knee cap. 4) I still can't sleep at night. 5) sensitivity still exists around the scar line. 6) flexibilty is good 120 and 115 but I still get very frustrated with myself. 7) it's difficult to decide what exercises to do on a daily basis(I now se to have that many to choose from ). 8) I dong use sticks or crutches and can get it every day to walk the dog. I know its a mixture of things, but I just needed to get these off my chest. I'm sure others are going through the same!!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi 

how brave to have both knees done 

everything you describe is par for the course,

land your bend is really good 

I know my bend was nowhere near that at 8 weeks.

i found lots of exercises online which I still do everyday at (20) weeks post op 

keep walking the dog and you'll get there 

all the best 

Jean 

• Posted

I am also just coming up to 8 weeks but only one knee and a uni not TKR. Flexibility the same as you, arthritic pain gone from day one, numbness on the outside of the knee which the surgeon says may always be there, an area of swelling just above my kneecap on the outside and just below the knee on the inside and some behind the knee, again I'm told the swelling could take a year to disappear if at all. I've cut down on some of the exercises because I am quite active now, walking without sticks but limited distances and going up and downstairs, no hands, must be good for the muscles. Just doing flexion and extension and quads. Like you, sleeping is my main problem for some reason. I still need a pillow between my legs for comfort and often wake once or twice in the night in discomfort...not really pain...and take some time to get back to sleep. Having said that I can sleep on my side now which is great.

I have to keep thinking back to last week to see the improvements.

• Posted

Hi Chris

I was reading through your post and going 'Yep'

'that's right 'yep' with every point! Lol

It really isn't a lot of fun and having both done at once is pretty heroic in my book!

I'm regretting having one - though I'm sure that will change eventually.

I'm now 12wks right knee. Just muscle pain etc now. Walking ok but a bit wobbly at times if i dont stride out.

Bend is good at 130 on a good day.

Straighten not quite zero yet. Floor exercises seem the best and great to just lay there and relax after!

Long journey Chris but keep cheerful smile

• Posted

15 weeks post op now but still haven't managed a full nights sleep as knee still painful at night, although the swelling has at last gone! You are doing very well so just be patient as it takes 6months to two years to fully mend! Numbness may always be there!😑

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.