what will happen if you go to the hospital due to a panic attack????

Posted , 5 users are following.

im really scared my panic attacks will send me to the hospital due to me feeling like i cant breath right when i can and panicking... what will they do at the hospital if this does happen??

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have never done that but from what i have read nothing much. They will do bloodwork, an ekg give you some sedative and send you home, a very expensive way to tell you to see a therapist.
  • Posted

Hi Lily, go to your GP before you end up in hospital. Remember ED is for people who are really sick. You can help yourself x
  • Posted

I've done it, a few times in the past when I didn't know what was happening to me. You need to learn to breath slowly and avoid hyperventilating, hot shower, watch a funny show, pet your cat, drink hot water/tea, or touch something soft (those help me) and go see your gp. Another poster was correct, ekg, blood work, sedative, maybe stick a paper bag on your face and send you home. It's extremely expensive and stressful.
  • Posted

They'll send you home, and to be honest they probably won't be very pleased with you. Panic attacks while very unpleasant are not an emergency. You could be taking time away from someone who is critically Ill - don't do it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.