What will you do when you can't sleep at night?

Posted , 4 users are following.

What will you do when you can't sleep at night? Playing with cellphone or doing push-up?

I have been suffering from chronic pharyngitis for a long time. And sometimes I even can't sleep at night. Maybe I should do something else to distract myself. 

To be honest, playing with cellphone is not a good choice for me.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Actually, neither is a very good idea! And you're quite right - playing with your cellphone is worst of all. Doing push-ups during the night isn't good either, as vigorous exercise tends to wake us up. It is, however, important to get enough exercise during the day if you're having problems sleeping.

Then there are all the usual "sleep hygiene" points - like not drinking coffee after about 2pm (or tea either if you're sensitive to it), not going to bed till you're tired, trying to keep regular hours, avoiding all blue-screen activities in the last hour before bed (that's computer, phone etc.).

When I can't sleep, I usually get up for a while. Sometimes I watch a DVD - but nothing too exciting - or read a book. Other times I even do a bit of ironing! Then I go back to bed and try again.

I'm a bit concerned about this chronic pharyngitis you're talking about. Are you getting treatment for it? And do you have something you can take at night to calm your throat? I assume you've given up smoking (if you ever smoked) as this is the worst possible thing for pharyngitis. You sound as if you're quite young, so maybe your tonsils need to be removed. I hope you can find a solution for the pharyngitis, which is clearly what's keeping you awake.

• Posted

Really thank you Lily. Umm, I never smoke. The doctor told me control the diet. And now I'm trying. Maybe watching a DVD is a good choice, I will have a try. Sometimes I'm too serious. So I think I should do something to distract myself. 

?Appreciate you.

• Posted

Seriously, I also don't like playing with cellphone when I can't sleep at night...

I would like to drink one cup of lily tea, which can help insomnia effectively and soothe the nerves. There are many kinds of tea can help sleep, you can have a try.

• Posted

Every night I listen to a sleep hypnosis app on my phone. The messages last for 40 minutes and are best listened to using sleeper headphones because the messages are put out at different levels. The first messages are designed to relax the body and then the mind. I have noise cancelling headphones but they are too big to wear in bed, so I listen to the hypnotic messages using the phone speaker. I usually fall asleep within 5-15 minutes. The 40 minutes can be put on a loop if required. I may well invest in sleeper headphones. I hope this helps. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.