What worked for me

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 23 year old female. I have suffered from HS since puberty (about 11). I get abscess under my arms, inner thighs, and sometimes my bum. I have literally tried EVERYTHING. So little is known about HS. I had doctors telling me to take bleach baths, lose weight, stop smoking, use this cream, wash with this. Blah blah blah. I did ALL OF THAT. I lost 80lbs. Have not touch a cig in a year. Long story short NOTHING worked. However, I started taking birth control about 6 months ago. I have had NO new abscess. I literally went from going to my derm. every few weeks to get cut; to nothing. I still have abscesses. But they are significantly better with no new ones. My derm. also perscribed me Humara. I start the injections next Tuesday. Just wanted to share in case it helps someone! I will let you guys know how Humara works with me. Don't feel like a alien. More people have HS than you would think. Cheers <3

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm new to this I have suffered with HS for years and only got diagnosed a few weeks ago, I get abscesses under my armpits,groin and my bum (which has been there for weeks)🙁 My doctor did advise to give up smoking and also change my diet? To what? Quick question... what happend at your 1st dermo appointment?

• Posted

Honestly, giving up smoking was the best thing I ever did. I will never go back. It didnt seem to help much with my HS but I feel like a brand new person. Same goes with eating clean. You have more energy and feel all around better. I eat three meals a day and two snacks. My meals consist of a lean meat (Chicken or Turkey) and veggies with no more than 75 G carbs. This didnt help me with my HS but I did loose 80 lbs.  At my first derm app. they looked at the area(s) I was having problems with. My derm started me on antibiotics and anti-bactirial washes (. You have to go through EVERYTHIING to get prescribed Humara. I hope this helps (:
  • Posted

Someone  told me humira is a miracle with HS , I've been referred  for it too good luck be interested to hear how you find it 

• Posted

For sure! I meet with my nurse Tuesday to get my first for injections. I am nervous but sooooo excited! Let me know how it works for you as well (:
  • Posted

Keen to hear how the Humara works for you! My dermatologist put me onto birth control a while ago but unfortunately it didn't do anything to help with HS so stopped taking it. It's upsetting how little doctors etc know about HS and mislead you. I've literally tried everything as well and not much has worked. I stopped all medication and am trying to heal it the natural way which is working ok. Good luck!

• Posted

Sorry to hear it didnt work sad

Sometimes we need nature to just do it thing.

Good vibes your way!

• Posted

Thankyou for replying, I've been on antibiotics for the last few years anthe doctor has just prescribed me

the antibiotic wash.What kind of

Foods did you cut out? Was sugar

one of them?

• Posted

I just completely changed the way and what I eat. I do eat less sugar for sure. I don't know if that was a huge trigger for me though. I am hopeful about Humara. I will keep everyone posted about the journey with it. I wish more was known about this. It sucks for sure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.