What works at home to get out of an svt episode?

Posted , 8 users are following.

My daughter is 13 years old and had her first svt episode 2 months ago (at age 12). It happened while sitting in class at school and her heart rate got up to 244 bpm (she was in svt for about 45 minutes) by the time she was given adenosine to reset her heart. Since then, she hasn't had another episode. She is taking a beta blocker pill once a day. Her doctor told us about several different ways she can try to revert an svt episode if she is to go into svt at home or at school. My question is, which maneuvers work best for you to stop svt on your own? We are going on an 8 day cruise next month and I am worried about her having an episode while on the ship. I want to be prepared just in case.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I hold my breath and then release. When I start to feel my heart beating fast I stop what I am doing, and lay down, so very important for me. It's hard for my svt to stop if people are talking to me. I can't talk to anyone, I have to focus on relaxing. I will be getting a cardiac ablation next month. I have had svt since I was 17, I am now 49. Last month I started taking fish oil twice a day and magnesium and low and behold I have not gone into svt since. I can feel it wanting to start but it don't.

• Posted

I have suffered from SVT for many years. I had the ablation back in 2002 which helped for about 8 years but the SVT has since returned. My most recent episodes always seem to happen during exercise. I understand your concern I'm taking a cruise in April and am so worried it could happen then. I was curious as to what cruise line told you they had the adenosine? That would be a great relief to know they have that on board.

• Posted

We just got back from our 7 day cruise and all went well. My daughter didn't have any problem with her SVT at all. The cruise line (Carnival) carries Adenocard, which is generic for adenosine. My daughter's doctor told us that is fine to use for an svt episode.

• Posted

That is great news I'm glad you had a nice vacation with no episodes for your daughter. I will be going on Carnival in about a month and will feel much better knowing they have the medicine just in case. Thank you so much for the info.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.