whats expected

Posted , 6 users are following.

Im just curious what some of you talk about in your therapy sessions? obviously not in detail, but i always go in there and never really know whats expected of me. i cry cuz im uncomfortable and dont know what to say. How about to your phychiatrist? i feel like im expected to say something imparticular or not say something. i say what i feel but i dont always feel like thats right. i dont want this feeling keeping me from going.

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amc. In my opinion you cannot say the wrong thing in therapy. Maybe this feeling is one of the things that you need to bring up in your therapy. Counseling is personal because it has to do with your individual issues. So please don't leave therapy because you're uncomfortable too many people do that and they leave before the miracle happens. When I was in therapy I was not comfortable but I just rode with it. And guess what I started feeling better and understanding myself better and connecting the dots so to speak. 

Please stay with us and let us know how you are doing. Good luck!! Diane. 

• Posted

Thank you! Its always nice to hear youre not the only one.  And i will! I have an appointment today
  • Posted

I have never been to therapy but I would assume nothing is expected of you & nothing is wrong to say & even if you just want to be silent it should be okay. The therapist is there to help you & I would imagine it goes on your terms. Share what you feel comfortable with & build up some trust in your therapist - I don't know how long you are going to therapy already but I would assume it takes a bit to build up some sort of "relationship'/connection" so you will get to know better how that person is & just relax more with time. Don't force anything - I guess as long as you are open to get that sort of help things will work out fine. Give it a bit time. wink

• Posted

Let go you're panicking too much! Be you I've learnt to do that with my counsellor, who due to ill health I can't access at the minute. All of this was sparked through stress and anxiety. Let your feelings go. Tell the truth. Good luck you'll get there.

• Posted

I think i need  someone to tell me that everyday. Thank you
    • Posted

Bless, one day at a time. Take it so you can cope like. X
  • Posted

Hi Amc. You can write us as often as you want! We will be right here to support you. We really care about you and we care about each other. Diane. 
  • Posted

Hi Amc92 - I know how you feel. I remember once going into a session so angry about absolutely everything that I couldn't speak. And I didn't. Just sat there boiling inside expecting any moment to pop like a balloon and make a mess of his nice clean carpet. The truth is that you can say anything or nothing. The main thing is that you are comfortable with the counsellor/therapist or psychologist. They will interact to guide you when you are on a fruitful path. The whole exercise is about you discovering your own truth and your own answers. Sometimes the street will be dark, but every so often a light will come on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.