whats wrong with my heart.. fast pulse off of a sudden

Posted , 4 users are following.

im scared right now..

my pulse is 94BPM and all im doing is sitting at my desk working.

i can feel it going like mad - like 100mph in my chest  [sad]

what could cause this?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, firstly I'll say I do NOT have medical knowledge, so this is just my experience, but i get this sometimes and so does my sister.  I have a leaky heart valve but my sister doesn't have any heart condition and is perfectly healthy, so my guess is it can happen to anyone and isn't necessarily a sign of something to worry about. 

I have had numerous recording devices in the past but not for lengthy periods so my consultant has never caught them on tape, but doesnt seem concerned about them and doesnt necessarily believe them to be due to my heart condition.  Given that my sister and another friend i know gets them too, i'm fairly confident it's not related to my condition. 

My first questions would be:  were you under pressure at work when this happened (or just prior to)?  or have you had much caffiene recently? thats just the first two obvious things i can think of but if not it doesn't necessarily mean there is anything to worry about.

Mine and my sisters usually last for a matter of seconds (maybe as long as 10 or 20 - doesnt sound long but feels like a long time when its happening) and they sometimes end with a real hard beat ( i refer to it as a "bang" cause it can be quite a hard thud and feel unerving when you're not used to it) 

If it lasted a long time or you get out of breath when it happens or if it re-occcurs anytime soon I would just check with your doctor to be on the safe side, but to put your mind at rest for now I think some people get these occassionally for no apparent reason, sometimes i get my worst ones just sat relaxed in front of the tv, watching something quite mundane.  

I hope this helps but of course if youre worried always best to check with your doc

• Posted

Hi Meljenk

Like anything to do with your heart, always seek medical advice.

It could be due to anything like stress, worry, fretting to a medical condition.

So goalong to your doctor and good luck.

Kev

• Posted

As Kirsty hints at, the only comment I can make is stay off too much coffee as this can certainly give you palpitations. But do check yourself checked out. And good luck.
    • Posted

I don't drink coffee or tea. I've been to the doctors again yesterday and he just said wait 😳 Woke up this morning with flutters in my throat and now I can't stop thinking and feeling them. Every blinking day
    • Posted

Advice to me from a cardiologist was to give up caffeine and also msg mono sodium glutamate found commonly in Chinese takeaway, flavoured crisps etc. you will have to start label watching as caffeine and msg are in loads of things. Also try and cut your salt intake. All these things are stimulants for the heart and can produce irregular heartbeat. Anything with potassium in is good e.g. Bananas. After coming off caffeine I had a permanent headache for a week but disappeared soon after, definitely helped though.
  • Posted

Perhaps you should try to be a bit more assertive when you see your doctor and get him/her to get you a heart check-up or ECG etc at your hospital. If you are in UK and don't get satisfaction from the doc then go along to a walk-in centre and you may get more attention.  Best of luck!
  • Posted

I agree with Roy, if it keeps happening I would insist on at least an ECG. unless your doctor is aware of any possible causes that they have discussed with you. but let's say for example they think it may be stress related, how are you supposed to even begin to stop being stressed unless you get peace of mind.

even if they didn't start due to stress the worry of not knowing could end up causing stress and make you have them more when they could just put your mind at ease with a simple ECG.

• Posted

I'm waiting for my 6 day monitor. I've had soooo many ecgs on the past. I went to the doctors test afternoon, he checked my pulse, blood pressure, oxygen levels that was 98%, he listened to my chest and said all was ok
    • Posted

that's good then, if they are already keeping an eye on it. I know it's frustrating when you don't know why it's happening, mine have never been caught on record but then mine don't happen that often and i've never had a monitor on for that long so they are obviously doing a thorough job, sounds like you are in very safe hands. you can buy portable monitors too so that might be something to consider in the future if you don't have any episodes during the 6 days. but if you are getting them that regularly they should catch them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.