Wheat Allergy for me

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had GA for at least 5 years. Red rashes on my hands and elbows. Nothing worked. I read countless forums. I finally went to a dr who said she believed it was a wheat allergy. I initially balked. I have no stomach issues when I ate wheat. She said, it could be the pesticides the wheat is treated with. She was confident it was wheat. I reluctantly cut wheat. Within 6 weeks it began to fade. I am now GA free. I realize in retrospect the GA started when I switched to whole grain bread. The great news is I can still eat bread, pizza etc, but just white bread like Wonder bread. the whole grain stuff was toxic to me I guess. I was driving today thinking how thankful I am when it dawned on me I should go back and report to the other GA people in the forums. I don't know if it will work for everyone, but it was the answer for me. I hope this helps someone.

3 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Cat, thanks for sharing this information:-)  Much appreciated!
  • Posted

Hi, if you did not have your outbreak biopsied it may not have been GA and an allergy yo wheat.

Most GA Is biopsied to accurately diagnose.

Cheryl

• Posted

Hi cheryl. I did have mine biopsied in 2 states and results were the same. Tho I was hoping for better diff results.. are you saying cutting out the wheat wont help? Just aaking cuz im so very frustrated with these ugly things covering so much of my body! I know u can't say what will help my exactly! But i feel like the dr just like throwing steroids at me and saying hmmmm im not sure what to do and t thats it?? I have a bad stomach on top of it (6bowel obstructions) sorry for long msg...

• Posted

I did have it biopsied. It was diagnosed as GA. I saw at least 4 dermatologists.  For me, it was absolutely an allergy to wheat.
    • Posted

I eliminated all wheat: bread, pasta, pizza for about 3-4 months, then after it cleared I added back a piece of pizza here and there sparingly with no problem. I realize now I had been eating way too much whole grain bread. It takes awhile to see results and know its really hard to do. But its 100% worth trying. At least even just to rule it out as option.
    • Posted

I understand your frustration.  I have had GA for over 20 years and wish I could find that It was allergy related.  It may help.  None of us know why these circles appear and grow.  I had to be on steroids for two other allergic reactions and am reaping the benefits of the short term medication.  I don’t think it is good to take steroids long term but it sure works to take away any break outs.  I am enjoying my clear body right now but know it most probably will return.  I can hope that it doesn’t.  Good luck and by all means try anything.

cheryl

• Posted

Thanku for the reply.. i will try anything. I have so many its nuts.. i even considered calling that show the Doctors lol i dont want to go on TV! Im going to try taking out the wheat.. i dont really eat pasta or breads. Tho i love pizza.. im going to have to read the labels cuz i really dont know a lot about wheat products.. this will be a challenge.I have tried the steroids and it made mine worse.. i have ppl ask me all the time. (At least for the ones on my arms) is that ring worm? I kind if wish they were! Thanku so much for u guys help. I was told it maybe low immune system too
    • Posted

Hello cheryl. Thanku. Im really glad yours went away.. the steroids made mine worse. Dr have checked me for many things like ciliac disease, lyme disease and others. They were all neg. Which is good. Its crazy. I was in the hospital for really bad vertigo and a resident asked what they were after i told him. His response was wow i never seen anyone who had it. I told him he could examine them after he fixes my vertigo. He was excited. It was kind of funny.. the responses ppl give me /us are something else.. i told one person the one on my leg (which is completely covered below the knee) it was a shark bite! I couldnt help myself. I can be a smart mouth sometimes.. i dont know anyone who has GA. I appreciate any help u can offer
  • Posted

Omg i am going to try that cat91555!! Thanku sooooo very very much for saying what helped you.. mine has been multiplying like crazy.. i call them my aliens lol (not really funny) they are awful. Now i have them all over the bottom half of my legs, my feet, my right arm and now my stomach. So did u just cut out the bread or wheat all together? Ill have to remember to get back on this forum later lol thanku again... enjoy your day!!!!
  • Posted

Hi. I realise this thread is a few years old now. I thought I was allergic to wheat in the past, but I have just realised how much it is affecting me. My skin problems got worse this time last year and I think the mince pies are making it worse! I blamed it on prawns, nuts and the obvious things. I change my cerials about. Then you realise its in so many things. Have you still been successful? What do you use for your rufage? Happy Christmas.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.