Wheat and cheese

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi, I've had episodes of AF for 17 years im , now 52.

Each episode never last's more than12 hrs . If I wasn't on medication I do believe I would permanently have AF. I'm on Flecinide and Bisoorol . I was first put on just flecinide but when I had an episode my heart rate would go upto 140 bpm. I was added the bisoprolol my episodes became less aggressive and now I can actually sleep through an episode . Also my resting heart rate has always been a little fast around 89/90 bpm. Now with the bisoprolol my rest heart rate is 64 bpm. I feel much calmer and relaxed . For years I always thought my fast heart rate was down to anxiety, I now know for sure it wasn't .

When first diagnosed I was told to cut out the usual a , caffeine , alcohol etc... I did all that and still sufferd fast heart rate and episodes of AF . What I learned after 15 years of AF was a major trigger is my diet . Wheat is a major and also cheese and dairy . First I cut out wheat and my AF episodes dramatically reduced. Then I noticed I was still having uncomfortable flutters so traced what I'd eaten . Cheese was the culprit . This summer I had I week of in and out of AF and fluttering heart beat . Again I traced my diet And I'd had strawberries and cream nearly everyday and I realised the culprit was the Cream .

Now with the medication , no wheat (gluten) , Cheese and Dairy my episodes have virtually stopped . Even have alcohol again but just stick to cider or red wine . As long as I don't over do it I'm fine . When I used to drink lager after half a glass my heart rate would go very fast. I've realised it was more the wheat in the larger not as much as the alcohol .

I've shared my experience with AF because it took me 17 years to realise my triggers . Looking back when in my teens I had episodes of a really fast heart rate and I was told it was put down to panic attacks . I know know I've been wheat cheese dairy sensitive for most of my life . For the first time I feel in control , I doesn't own me anymore.im aware everyone's AF triggers are different but if this information helps just one person then that would be fantastic .

3 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I meant to have said ........... when I eat stuff I shouldn't ... I bloat ............. etc. etc.

• Posted

Cheese has always been a trigger for me. I had an ablation last week, and am waiting for the hoped for report of success, then I'm off to find the strongest, smelliest blue cheese I can find and I am really going to enjoy it smile

Seriously though, I'd never thought of wheat being a trigger. I had a link that was a good resource for foods that might trigger AF but I can't find it now. Will have a good dig around and see what I can turn up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.