Wheezing when breathing in....

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 14 months on from a DVT/PE and am now a lifer on Rivaroxaban.  I have noticed that at times I have a problem with wheezing when breathing in.  I seem to make a high pitched whistling sound and I often have a slight cough at the same time.  It's not there all the time...it seems to come and go but is particularly bad today.  Is it anything to be concerned about?  Does anyone else get this?  Am I worrying about nothing???  I have been discharged by the respiratory team so can't ask them now!

Any thoughts would be most welcome...

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Allexie

I've just been given the all clear but did mention to the consultant that u am still breathless and wheezy and have a cough. She didn't seem concerned but did say that people with DVT/PE often feel that they can't do much I'm case something happens and that the wheezy etc is down to being unfit and that we need to try and exercise more.

However if you are concerned you should speak to your GP.

Good luck

Sam

• Posted

Hi Sam and thanks for your reply.  I do try and keep as active as possible...most days I walk about 4 miles or so.  I must say that the wheezing does seem to happen after a few days of less activity so praps your consultant is right....must try and up the exercise.

Cheers

Allexie x

• Posted

I seemed to experience a number of strange things whilst on Rivaroxaban and was pleased when they let me change to Apixaban as seem much better now.
  • Posted

Hi, Allexie - I am now on rivaroxaban for life as well, after 3 "thrombotic episodes," the last a PE 16 months ago. I am still wheezing, coughing, have chest pain and become breathless on any kind of exertion. The only time I am not breathless is when I am not moving. I do Aquafit, yoga, and walk, but I am completely shattered after I do any rigorous exercise. I finally went back to the GP and had a spirometry test and was referred to pulmonary rehabilitation, which I start next week. I've also been referred back to the respiratory medicine clinic. The nurse at the pulmonary rehab assessment said she thinks my asthma had become COPD rather than it being complications from the PE. But I still haven't had a real diagnosis. The only way I could get any further medical attention, other than, "Get as much exercise as possible," was by becoming a complete pest - becoming my own advocate. I would keep asking for the medical care that you deserve, rather than just trying to live with the uncertainty. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.