When can I drive?

Posted , 12 users are following.

At 4wks plus 3 I've just been discgarged from physio as I have 115 degrees and been told I'm doing ok onmy own.I've also had my scar signed off so I can now swim. However, when I asked about driving I was told my doctor would have to give the go ahead but when leaving hospital I was told it had to be my consultant who I wont see for another 6 weeks. I never told the DVLA or my insurance in case they put up the premiums. Any advice?

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I certainly waited for the all-clear from my consultant.  In the meantime, I suggest you just get used to being back in the car, adjusting the seat etc.

Personally, I didn't feel up to driving until week 8 and then only drove locally with my husband until I felt happy.  Was determined not to leave it too long as was worried I'd loose my confidence on the road.

• Posted

Hi lynn, normally I would be more patient but as my husband can't drive until December, due to a stroke and sizures we are feeling really helpless. My new grandson is arriving today and we won't be able to see him as buses and trains would just take too long. I seem to have ticked all the boxes on bend, strength etc and certainly wouldn't drive until six weeks anyway. I'm going to do what you suggest, getting used to the pedals and making sure I can use them without pain. I can also try an emergency stop on a private road when I'm ready.It's just getting that official permission. I don't want to wait until 11 weeks which I would have to do if I relied on my consultant.
    • Posted

In that case, with a bit of practice now and only if you feel confident, then you should go for it.  As long as you feel safe, then NOTHING would have kept me from seeing and spending time with my first grandchild.

Good luck, both you and new baby!

• Posted

It's certainly true about confidence. I was unable to drive for six months when I broke my leg and was really nervous starting again. AndI was only 23 then not 67!
    • Posted

Yes, but just compare how many years you've been driving to those being out of action.  No contest.  You'll be fine.
    • Posted

Yes, experience counts doesn't it. I have driven all over Europe and will do so again next year all being well. 
  • Posted

I was advised that 6 weeks was about right, partially because of the pain meds I was on and the danger of being involved in an accident, especially a rear ender that might jam my leg into the floorboard or brake pedal. The original TKR I was driving a larger, roomier 4 dr sedan that was easily entered and exited but my wife's smaller sedan was more difficult so I stayed out of it. When I had to have the revision and 3 subsequent surgeries, I have a larger SUV and had no problems and felt more comfortable early on. The docs didn't have any problems with my activities.
    • Posted

I have a people carrier which is a high car that is really easy to enter, have that because of my back. Also because it's a right TKR and a right hand drive it's easier to get into the driver's side. It's a good point about having a rear ender, which officially wouldn't be my fault but could have the repercussions you mention. Lots to think about. Thank you.
  • Posted

I was advised that 6 weeks was about right, partially because of the pain meds I was on and the danger of being involved in an accident, especially a rear ender that might jam my leg into the floorboard or brake pedal. The original TKR I was driving a larger, roomier 4 dr sedan that was easily entered and exited but my wife's smaller sedan was more difficult so I stayed out of it. When I had to have the revision and 3 subsequent surgeries, I have a larger SUV and had no problems and felt more comfortable early on. The docs didn't have any problems with my activities.
  • Posted

Hi Carol,

ive just been to physio today, 4 weeks plus 2, as you know.

he has told me I still have too much warmth in my knee and I should still use two crutches outside for another week before dropping to one if I feel up to it.

i have my final one with him in two weeks, the day after I see my surgeon for my six week checkup.

we are still unsure whether I have a Bakers Cyst in the back of the knee and the surgeon will have his say on that but I need to keep up the stepper and the pedalling. To see how it goes.

if I am still having problems after the next appointment, I will have to self-refer to the local hospital for further physio because the hospital I had the op at only give four physio appointments on their NHS contract. To continue with them would cost £200 for six more sessions.

i have been advised that six weeks is the normal point for driving again for most people but, if it is your right knee, you may need longer to ensure you can do an emergency stop safely.

• Posted

Hi john, I'm sorry you are having extra problems. I was chucked out of physio early today because she said I didn't need any more but there were still people there who are up to three months post op.Here in Wales you go until you are better. Postcode lottery I think.
    • Posted

I think they want to play safe because my job has me on my feet for ten hours a day and they want me to be really fit.

i work in my local hospital and I need to be able to do anything that's necessary so I need good flex and strong legs.

• Posted

Hi Carol

I called my insurance company - More Than - a few weeks ago as whilst I was in hospital someone mentioned that their insurance company said they had to be 12 weeks post op before driving again.

More Than told me there are no restrictions with them - there would only be a restriction if I had had an illness which the DVLA needed to know about; this is not one of them. Premium will not go up either because of your lovely new knee!

So best thing is to check with your own insurance company.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on.

Tracey

• Posted

It's very interesting that the DVLA don't need to know.I think that maybe there is an across the board policy with hospitals that you should tell the DVLA about everything. Just to cover everything.
    • Posted

I don't think that the hospital are interested in whether we contact the DVLA?

TKR is not on their list so they are not interested in the likes of us; as I said it is the insurance company that everyone needs to check with as they may have different ideas.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.