When can I drive after recovering from a broken ankle?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I broke my ankle bones in three places on 8/9 after having a plate and pins and three weeks in hospital I am now at the stage of wearing an air boot and walking NWB with crutches. I have an appointment on Friday and hoping for physio soon. Can anyone advise how long it took them to drive - the loss of independence is driving me mad, it would be lovely to walk again and even better to drive so I can get out by myself instead of having to rely on others. Just want to get back to normal and losing patience .sad

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Claramarie

Depends on which foot is affected from what I've read online if its ur left foot u seem to be able to get behind the wheel quicker than If it was ur right foot as U have to be able to do an Emergency stop without any pain/discomfort in ur foot.

Unfortunately it was my right foot I broke, I'm 10wks post op, FWB with crutches and at the moment I'm Nowhere near being able to put foot down suddenly on the floor without pain so think I've a way to go yet before I can drive again.

I drove to work everyday and missing my independence terribly tho I won't miss having to defrost my car windscreen in the winter months!!

Good luck with ur recovery

• Posted

Hi Bailey12

thanks, unfortunately my right ankle too. I'm not back at work yet but like you I drove there and local public transport is not the best. Hope your recovery continues well and quickly. I honestly and naively thought that I would be all good in 3 months but it seems I'm kidding myself.

• Posted

Hi Claramarie

I was exactly the same, i thought that once the cast came off id be a bit stiff but after a few weeks be back at work. Broke my left ankle over 30years ago but didn't need surgery so it was totally different experience to this. I've set myself a target of end Nov to be off crutches and pushing myself with the exercises til I c physio next week. Luckily work have been great but can't c myself being back until early next year. Hard to be positive all the time, I've been in tears and felt pretty low esp at the beginning when I was NWB but realise it's only temporary and there's a lot of people worse off than me. In a few months I'll be zipping about in my mini, walking my dog and get my life back to normal. Take care and speedy recovery 😀

• Posted

I broke my ankle on 17/9 and had an op on 28/9 to fit 3 screws.

2 weeks later had stitches removed and fibreglass removable cast & boot fitted. I was told to partial weight bear and next appointment 12/11

I drive for a living so unable to work still, my foot is constantly swollen.

After reading similar posts on various forums, I put an ice compression on my foot today, and virtually unable to move my foot in any direction.

I have been so frustrated at not being able to walk, or drive, it has caused me to feel depressed at my never being able to walk or work again!

I do sympathise with you, but I wouldn't attempt to drive without consulting the hospital.

it is tempting but in the event of an accident the insurance company wouldn't pay and worse still, you could get fined and points on your license.

Sorry, it's not what you want to hear & good luck with physio

• Posted

If its your left foot get an automatic and start driving tomorrow ,I did and have been driving ever since. If it's your right foot you have a problem but buy a scooter on ebay and away you go. Good luck

Mr Ankle

• Posted

Hello Mr Ankle

unfortunately it's my right foot, don't think I'm brave enough for a scooter. Although I've been driving for many years I've only ridden scooters on holidays in Greece and didn't feel that safe.

I really admire your attitude though and wish I was a bit braver!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.