When can I expect to walk up and down stairs following TKR

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi, I am just over 9 weeks post op and I really want to walk up & down the stairs without pain?

I keep trying but although I can go up it's not without pain and I can't do downstairs yet?

Prior to the op I struggled with the stairs for about 2 years and I so want to be able to do this with ease!! Am I expecting too much too soon?

Would really appreciate hearing how others did with stairs

Thanks

Pauline.

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Schu.,

Depends how old you are. You should be able to manage the stairs up and down now, even if you use the 'one step at a time' method. The pain will be around for a while yet, but it should be tolerable.The exercises are important but you must not overdo them. Are you getting good flexion and straightening?

• Posted

Hi Batteneye, I am 54. I can do them one at a time but I meant when would I be able to walk up them properly? 

I have good flexion & straightening and am keeping up with my exercises.

• Posted

Morning,

From what I recall, my physio was getting me walking up stairs by about week 4. I had tried at home and to start with I managed, but it did make me wince a little.  Can manage now without any problem, but still hold onto the banister.

Coming down is another matter!  Physio was getting me to do that by around week 6 or 7, just a few at a time and that was far more difficult.  She finally got me to do a small flight at the hospital and, with practice, I can now manage at home.  Can do it, but my operated knee is at a strange angle.  Any help?

Lynn 16.5 post op

• Posted

Thank you Lynn, that gives me hope!! 

I keep trying most days, it seems to depend on my pain level at the time?

I think I remember someone else on here saying downstairs was much harder than going up? I get frightened to try coming down as it definately hurts more!! Lol

• Posted

Hi Pauline 

was thinking about you yesterday.

can't believe its 9 weeks since your operation. The stairs are a hard challenge but one that will take time. Are you able to bare weight yet on the stairs on operated leg? Going up is easier than coming down but Im afraid its just percefearence. I used to practice on 3 steps at a time, go up them, rest, turn around and come down. Keep doing this twice a day then increase the amount of steps. make sure someone is watching you for support and safety! once you can elevate them all try skipping a step going  up ONLY!! this really builds your strengt. and i found this less painful and got to  the top quicker ..LOL...Little tip take pain relief 20 mins before the stairs challenge and step through the pain. Its tough i know!! Its just patience Im afraid but if this helps you, i can run up the stairs now but walk down.

Take care

Pegs x

• Posted

Hi Pegs,

Lovely to hear from you!! Thank you for your advice I will certainly give your suggestions a try!

Amazing you are running up the stairs!! I can't ever imagine doing that!!

Take care.xx

• Posted

Hi Schu, it's so frustrating not being able to achieve what you want isn't it? I've realised from this site that although we have similar problems we are all different in the way we recover. I think I was going up and down stairs normally by 9 weeks but coming down was not without discomfort - and still is (12 weeks now). Where do you get the pain? As you'll see from my posts elsewhere, mine hurts at the back of the knee, and this is worse going downhill and downstairs. They've identified a weak hamstring so I'm working on that. Do you still see a physio? Might be worth telling them of the problem, especially as, like me, your ROM seems to be good. Jen x
    • Posted

Hi Jen

Thank you for your advice.

The pain is at the front underneath my knee cap, as soon as I start using stairs I get it? You may be shocked to hear I haven't seen a physio since I came out of hospital! We are just given a leaflet with exercises to do?

Pauline.

• Posted

Hi Pauline,

That's such a shame that you don't see a physio. Any chance of getting to see one via GP or consultant? There may well be a specific exercise that will help with the pain you're getting. 

Jen 

• Posted

I have been thinking about asking my gp to refer me Jennifer, think I will when I next see him as I don't know if I am doing the exercises properly .
    • Posted

Hi Schu

i am shocked to hear your hospital doesn't offer you post op physio. Physio is the common denominator of getting you back to walking properly. I would deffo speak to your GP regarding a referral. With you working in the hospital can't you contact occupational health and ask them to help arrange it . After all its in their interest too to get you fit and be able to return to work. Reading a leaflet is hardly the same as everyone is different. 

Pegs 

• Posted

I agree Pegs, I think the op and physio should be a package! I'm amazed it was not even considered? Good advice about Occupational Health, will try my gp 1st and if I get nowhere with them I will contact Occupational Health.

Pauline.x

• Posted

From reading all the posts on TKR I am amazed at the various stages that that patients have reached. I am now nearly into week 5 and can manage the stairs up wih no problem but still carefull coming down  and been off the painkilles for over two weeks and have very goodnights sleep on the whole.knee is still swollen and stiff cant still straighten it fully physio says it dwn to my large leg muscles as I used to cycle a lot previously.by the way im a bit ovwerwight 67 yr old
    • Posted

Hu Unofon

You are doing amazingly well!! I am still taking pain meds regularly throughout the day. I am sleeping much better now and I can walk really well now which I am pleased about. You are so right about people recovering differently at stages throughout their recuperation.

We will all get there eventually I'm sure!!

Pauline.

• Posted

Hi Pauline so sorry to hear about you star problem. I had struggled with my stairs before the op and I was scared stiff about them for after the op because my balance isn't to good. I bought a reconditioned strairlifts for £595 its an acoorn and look  like new.Pauline it has been an a solute godsend. However I am now 10 weeks and have stopped using it because I don't need to. I am not getting any pain going up or down. Can't really understand why you are still getting the pain how are your knee bends and flexions .? Perhaps this is going to be your weak spot for a while yet. You will get there . I am just one week in front and am walking unaided albeit only 200yards or so .to day I am going to attempt 1/4mile. Take care my friend hope you problem gets sorted soon  love from tucks
    • Posted

Hi Tucks,

lovely to hear from you again! Good to hear you are doing so well.

I can walk really well now in fact I prefer to be on my feet find it quite liberating!! I'm sure I will be ok with the stairs eventually, I just need to keep persevering !!!

Pauline

• Posted

You will get there my freind and its so good you are walking so well. Iam walking so much better, been out this morning and yesterday and managed 1/2 mile each time. I took my stick with me for confidence but didn't have to use it. One thing I have now to concur is the bath. I keep looking at it and thinking which way would be best, it is quite deep and I just have one grab rail on the wall. I'm fed up with showering I want a good warm soak. Keep well my freind and you will get there with those stairs love from tucks
    • Posted

Like you, I LOVE a bath.  After a couple of weeks of showering I was determined to have a good soak.

We are fortunate to have a bath with a corner seat, so I got in and lowered myself first to the seat and then into the bath.  I made sure I had a towel to hand to dry my hands before doing it in reverse when getting out.  It is bliss. Not a pretty sight, however, but who cares after what we've been through.

My physio suggested I tried it first without undressing and having water in the bath.

If you don't have a corner seat, why not try a sturdy plastic seat in the bath. Also, I always use one of those rubber mats you use for babies in the bath as I am nervous of slipping.

Any help?

• Posted

Ooh me too Tucks I would love a bath!

I haven't had one for about 3 years now!

We'd only just had a new bathroom suite when I started having real problems with my knee, I think I've only been in the new bath about 3 times!!

I don't feel ready for trying it just yet though!!

After you messaged me this morning I made a determined effort to do my exercises better and more often!! I think I had got a bit lazy with them. Paul got up to find me squatting at the kitchen sink this morning, I can't repeat what he said!! Lol.

• Posted

Not a pretty sight I suspect, never mind you are doing the best you are able and what more can anyone ask. I am defo going to give the bath ago in a while, I've stood and watched it and dared it. I have a rubber bath mat so here I go . If I disappear off the foram for a few days don't worry about me ,I will still be in the bath love from tucks x
    • Posted

Hi lyn I am defiantly going to go for the bath shortly, I managed to get in fully clothed, without water and I quelled my fear. I have got a bath mat and one gripp rail. I have to get my Churchill spirit up and just go for it. Anyone got any brandy they don't want. Lol love from tucks xx
    • Posted

I know your excuse for getting stuck in the bath.  You'd have to call for a hunky fireman to get you out!

The best of luck.  Manage it and it will be bliss!

• Posted

Save the brandy for when you get out , and pull the plug out before you start getting out  we are waiting to gear horse you get on lol xx

Pam 14 weeks 

• Posted

predictive text gear horse ? Lol should say waiting to hear from you lol xx
    • Posted

Hope it's just the brandy after the bath .

if you don't answer us Tucks, you will be grounded for a month lol x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.