When can I expect to walk up and down stairs following TKR

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi, I am just over 9 weeks post op and I really want to walk up & down the stairs without pain?

I keep trying but although I can go up it's not without pain and I can't do downstairs yet?

Prior to the op I struggled with the stairs for about 2 years and I so want to be able to do this with ease!! Am I expecting too much too soon?

Would really appreciate hearing how others did with stairs

Thanks

Pauline.

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Pauline, we are all different. My PT had me going up and down a handful of stairs at a time by the end of my second week. Hurt like holy heck. But because I live in an apartment and just one floor up, I had a set of stairs that I would force myself to use, unless I was carrying a heavy load. I remember one day I was walking up the steps and I realized that while it wasn't exactly comfortable, the pain was not like what it was before surgery - there was some rejoicing in that. The thing to remember is that stairs do put a strain on your joints and that in reality, if possible, we shouldn't be taking them unnecessarily. I remember watching a video that was pro knee replacement and the lady they showed going up and down the stairs did them in a sort of side way move. I was determined to walk up and down the way a normal person would. I'm there sometimes, but I don't quite have the same spring in my step that I'm hoping to achieve. Until I get it, I will continue working on it.
  • Posted

I am 90 days post op. At 5 weeks dr sent me on my way. Range was 126 flex 0. I am athletic so came back quick. Having one issue. Stairs. Going down ok. Going up had strained my IT band which slowed me down. It's a little better so pushing going up stairs again. Steps with less incline not a problem syepswith a steeper incline are tougher Still feels weak and a little pain. Wondering how long this will go on. Everything else is good. Been back to karate for a month now. Can kick, pivot etc

Any thoughts about the steps would be great. Thanks

• Posted

I am at 4 wks post op. I have not even done anything with steps yet, is that normal. I am doing outpatient pt 3 times a week & doing my exercise 3 times a day on nom outpatient days. I have bend at 95 & straightening at -12. I see my ortho Dr at 6 wks & at that time if he releases me to work, I have about 6-8 steps going into work. I am worried I won't be able to do them at 6-8 wks. I used walker for 3-1/2 wks & just switched to cane couple days ago. Slow but sure.

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

I am 7 weeks out from double knee replacement. Stairs are still a challenge for me. I can go up, with some difficulty, one foot after the other. Coming down I still go one at a time and side ways. Partly because my left knee does not have a good bend and the other is that I am afraid of falling. Check with your PT I was doing one step by two weeks. Keep the faith, it will come.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.