When can I know I wont be getting sick?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My family has the stomach flu right now. It started 2 days ago when my brother threw up and after 1 day passed the next night my mom and other brother started vomiting. I really hate being sick and Im trying to avoid all possible contact and stay in my room, wash my hands etc. I would just like to know how long I have to keep doing this (assuming I wont get sick, which is pretty unlikely). At what point can I be relatively sure that I managed to avoid the disease? Also, do you have any tips for avoiding this disease if your family is sick?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You are doing everything you can. Try to relax and don't isolate yourself; simply live normally and try to accept that people do catch bugs especially at this time of year but they do recover. I tried to do everything I could to stop my dad catching my cold, but in the end he still caught it but got better with antibiotics. If you stress too much about this, it could lower your immune system and make you more prone to bugs. Catching bugs is just part of life, I'm afraid!

• Posted

Has your family been diagnosed with the flu? It may be food,

• Posted

usually 2 to three days if it is a gastro virus. Antibiotics don't kill a virus, only infection so save them for when you may need them. stay hydrated, sleep when you need to, on day 3 try a few mouthfuls of chicken broth, if ok build up from there. if you are running a high temperature and keep vomiting seek medical help.

very best wishes.

• Posted

Be sure to wash your hands before you eat and dont put your hands in or around your mouth before washing them. This type of bug is spread by cross contamination so making sure your room and door handles for example are cleaned with a bleach based cleaner.

Dont worry they do pass but it is horrible feeling like youre waiting to catch it next.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.