When can I take off the boot to walk?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Okay so 3 weeks ago I was given a CAM walking boot by my OP doctor. X-Ray show ankle bones healing after 6 weeks in a cast. He said I be on a boot for 3 weeks and be off when I see him again for follow up appointment. I can walk with the boot, using a walker to get around. However hurricane Harvey flooded my clinic and my appointment was moved up in 2 weeks, until September 22. My ankle is healthy, no longer hurt at all and now I want to be off the boot to start walking again. I try calling back but no response, so I ask this for advice, should walk without the boot since my doctor said be off in 3 weeks?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Selirim! If I were you, I would wait until you see your doctor. Of course if you can't get an appointment for weeks; then that is a different story. I have been in a cast for nearly 6 weeks. It is due to come off soon, but I am prepared to keep it on for longer if the doctor says so. 

• Posted

UGH... been there done that... perhaps you can start taking the boot off in the evening when you are sitting with your leg/foot elevated AND when you are sleeping until you see the doctor.  I would not risk the healing by walking without the boot until you see the doctor.  Any wt bearing could potentially push you backwards in your recovery.  Are you scheduled to see a PT or OT for rehab.  If yes, ask the PT or OT.  If no, why not?  GOOD LUCK!!  Stay safe in the hurricanes.  Be careful.  Err on the side of caution!!  Take care!!
  • Posted

Thanks for advice, I do take off the boot when I sleep or just laying down, doctor said I can do that. I will wait than until I see him. Better to be in good health and not going backwards
    • Posted

Hi Selerim! I hope you are having a good day. I am due to either get an X-ray, then get the cast off or get an X-ray and not get the cast off yet, or; just get the cast off. This happens on Wednesday. The weird thing is I am used to my cast now and actually like it, so, if it takes longer, that is ok😐

• Posted

Hi there smile 

I would most definitely wait till you speak with your doctor/surgeon. In saying that, the boot annoyed me and I knew from physio that I could walk without it so at home, I would take it off for a few hours a day to practice walking and give my leg a break. 

I had a cast on for 10 weeks and the boot on for the remainder (broke my leg 6 months ago and came out of the boot on Friday after another surgery). I know how uncomfortable they are. Hopefully you get good news at your next appointment and you no longer have to wear it! Good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.