when did you start wearing shoes?

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi all I'm 8 weeks post op from a lapidus where bunion was shaved and bone was cut I have screws and a plate. I'm in pt and still swollen and ultimately doing good no pain. question I have is when can I expect to be in shoes and out of the awful boot? I see Dr next week and am wondering if I can expect to lose the boot. Dr wrote 2 weeks>progressive weight bearing in boot and 2 weeks boot>shoe. I'm not sure if that means I'll never in a shoe next or not or if I have 2 weeks more. I've been in the boot for 6 weeks. and am partially weight bearing no more than 5-10lbs

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Nemo,

I was moved into sneakers at 7 weeks. Every surgeon is different about the timeline and everyone heals differently. It seems like your doctor wants you to stay partially weight bearing and then you'll go to full? I was full weight banning in the boot for 3 weeks begore I transitioned to the sneakers.

P.S. I got my left foot Lapidus yesterday. So far so good. I'm completely bunion free! What a great feeling! Sending my best to you!

• Posted

so glad to hear you're doing well! hope your recovery goes even better this time aroundsmile
    • Posted

Thank you Nemo! I hope you're healing nicely too!
  • Posted

I am 7 weeks post op, same procedure you described. At 5 weeks, I transitioned from the post op boot to a men's sneaker. I found women's shoes to be too narrow. None of my shoes fit and my doctor forbids Sandler or anything with a heel. I can wear trainers or wide flat boots.

• Posted

wow seems like everyone has had a faster recovery than me. my Dr must be more on the slow side. I do have 6 screws though which is more than most. I'm planning to just wear moccasins for a while as I've heard the same thing about shoes being too narrow.
    • Posted

I began driving once out of the post op boot. Car insurance doesn't cover you while wearing one. I have orthopedic inserts I must wear for support. I only have 2 screws maybe that's the difference in time frame. I've followed all orders. I'm still in recovery. Walking is awkward and I'm clumbsy. My big toe is stiff and I can't flex it much. I'm told to wiggle, wiggle as much as possible and massage it often.
    • Posted

I'm hoping to drive once out of the boot as well. I'm just curious how the foot does being down for that period of time. do you get much swelling afterwards from not elevating?
    • Posted

I have the 4 screw plate. I didn't realize you had the 6. I just looked at my X-rays from last time and yesterdays and my plate is much higher up in yesterday's. I also only have 2 incisions from my keft surgery and my right one needed 3. It's interesting how differentvall our surgeries are, sometimes even on our own two feet.
    • Posted

so true no surgery seems to be the same! what would make you need more than one incision? is it just the placement of the plate?
    • Posted

The place he had to break and put a plate in on my right foot was in a different spot than the left. The 3rd incision on the right foot is my soft tissue release. When he did the left foot, the plate went in higher and he was anle to do the soft tissue release from that spot without having to make another cut. One less incision means less stitches. Yay!
    • Posted

what's a soft tissue release? glad you have less incisions that is great! do you still feel that your left foot incision is tender?
    • Posted

At about week 4, I began putting my foot down for short periods of time followed by elevating and ice behind the knee and on my foot, gradually. Increasing the intervals between. The swelling was almost immediate at first. Overtime, tolerable. I used a compression sock for a week but the pressure was horrible and I quit! Now at week 7, I have only slight swelling in the evening, I haven't needed ice in a good while. My only complaint is stiffness. It feels like my joint is stuck in place and wants to Crack but can't. Oh, and of course shoes, nothing fits! It did feel like it took forever to get to the walking stage! I did hobble a long time and because we have all trucks with some lift, I couldn't get up and in them without help. I still have some slight balance issues navigating stairs or uneven ground. I live on a farm with horses, chickens, cats and my dog and the most challenging part has been keping them from stepping on my foot. Part of my balance issue might be that my foot is suddenly realigned properly and I don't need to overpronate to compensate for bunion, basically learning to walk again.
    • Posted

Hi Nemo,

Here's an article link that explains the soft tissue release well..http://www.podiatrytoday.com/point-counterpoint-should-you-release-soft-tissues-bunionectomy

A for my left foot, it's only been 2 days sonce the surgery. My nerve block is wearing off but I wouldn't say my incisions feel tender. I have the 22 layer Jones splint on again ao my incisions are very well protected.

I learned that my orthopedic surgeon did bone grafting in left foot Lapidus. This in theory should make it easier to fuse.

• Posted

oh my mistake I meant to ask of the incision on your right foot is still tender
    • Posted

Hi Nemo. No my incisions all healed nicely on my right foot. I do a circulation and scar tissue massage each day how my PT taught me when I put the Bio Oil on. It's helped a lot!
    • Posted

I've finally started to lose the scabs on my incision and am putting things layers of coconut oil on it. it's so nice to not have to avoid it!
    • Posted

Nemo isn't it great to be able to do that? I was so happy too when I was able to stop babying it so much. When I was able to take a real bath, with my foot fully submerged was delightful as well. I'm so glad your making such good progress!
    • Posted

Your first good soak is awesome! It is funny what you miss when something is broken!

• Posted

indeed! I still have yet to really soak it though I just don't baby it as much when I take a shower. I go back to work this Thursday and am not too sure if I'm rewdy. my job is constant walking.
    • Posted

i tried your advice and didn't elevate as much as normal today. it doesn't feel great haha foot feels warm and swollen. are you weight bearing yet? and a are you in a boot or shoes?
    • Posted

Oh no Nemo. Try to ease into it as best as you can. I hope the transition back to work goes well.
    • Posted

it wasn't too bad usually I have 3 pillows I elevate with and I just used a chair so it was basically flat. I'll have to take my time though Ivery noticed less swelling and don't anticipate to reverse that. how are you feeling? is it tough going from it straight to the next? what helps me the most is going for car rides
    • Posted

Slow, definitely go slowly. A few minutes at a time. The first 10 minutes my foot was down it felt like it would explode! Make sure you follow your doctor's advice. Even now that I am walking with no assist, my foot feels think and swells a little in the evening. Hope you are healing well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.