When did you try to stand on your tip toes?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had my right AT fully replaced 12 weeks ago and have been doing OK as far as I know. Last night I decided to try and stand on my tip toes and it was a flop. The pain was bad but manageable but today my ankle is swollen and a tad tender. I've had utterly rubbish support from my surgeon. The last time I saw him he put me in a removeable cast and told me to come back in 6 weeks and hopefully not be using crutches. 3 days in the stupid cast I had to purchase an air cast boot. I have no idea what stage I should be at etc. I go back to see the surgeon on the 3rd May. ANY advice please.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Denise

I am 12 months on now and it took 4-5 months to be able to tip toe so I would definitely not try to rush this. Remember tip toeing you are literally putting your complete body weight through your recovering tendon so it will take time to build strength.

Are you still in the airboot and if so how many wedges are in?

• Posted

Denise, are you UK or elsewhere as it's all very different?

Also you said 'replaced' rather than repaired. That makes a huge difference too. Any more info?

Stay positive.

Cibby

• Posted

Hi Cibby. I am in the UK yes. I had a totally new synthetic tendon put in as my old one was shot at. My old tendon had 2 tears and had come away from my muscle by 4 inches, The surgeon said my old 1 could not be repaired. I have tried to find out via here and google as to what I should and shouldn't be doing. Thanks

• Posted

Are you having the pain because you tried to stand on your tip toes or were you already having some bad pain? And I think you mean repaired on not replaced. I have never really heard of anyone getting their AT replaced. I agree with Sks1982. It will take a good amount of time before you can stand on your tip toes. Did you surgeon or physical therapist give you a rehab schedule? This helps understand the milestones to look for during your recovery. Best of luck to you! I am 8 months recovering!
    • Posted

Hi. I have had a full synthetic tendon put in due to the fact my old one was irrepairable. The surgery as delayed while the tendon was made to fit me, until last night I have been pain free and walking short distances unaided. Since last night I have had a swollen ankle and need a crutch to walk more than a few hundered yards. The surgeon has not once mentioned any type of physio to me.

• Posted

Denise,

sorry to hear about your injury and lousy support. 

I had some swelling through about 6 months--it was that long before I could put on shoes I had worn before injury. Icing regularly helps with swelling, as do. compression socks. Pain and discomfort seem to be associated with swelling as well, so you will find that as swelling diminishes, so does the pain and discomfort 

i found physical therapy to be helpful, and I have now completed that as well. It has been 8 months since my injury and surgery. It has only been the last two months or so that I have been able to do any heel lifts; the strength in calf muscle and foot has been frustratingly slow, but is getting better. Even pro athletes take as long as a yeR to recover fully..

i an sure others will weigh in. It sounds yo me that you are about where I was at 12 weeks into recovery. It is slow, but be patient, don't push too fast ( REALLY don't want to re-injure), do what you can for flexibility, range of motion, and strength exercises (balance board, picking up and moving marbles with your toes, going up and down stairs). You will recover!!

• Posted

Hi Rob. Thanks for this.

At least you didn't question me saying replaced and not repaired. lol

My surgeon has not once mentioned any sort of physio to me so I just try and do things I can find on the net. I have for a few weeks been back in my normal footwear as I found it more comfortable than the boot etc. I had not had any swelling for a few weeks so its shocked me a little it swelling up after trying to stand on my tiptoes last night.

As long as I know (thanks) that swelling can come and go I feel a bit better. I think I'm just going to have to walk before I can run as the saying goes.

• Posted

Hi again Denise

I'm now replying having seen the previous posts. I'm 6 months post repair. I had surgery to re-kit my calf with my Achilles after a total rupture.

Only now can I walk. Poorly. I still have pain when I walk and complete tightness and rigidness in my ankle and lower leg. I had private physio 2 x a week for 2 months as the NHS physio was appalling. They gave me some mobility exercises to do but would not even touch the leg itself.

This is after 6 months. You have to be patient but you also need to do the mobility, strength and stretch exercises. If you can afford private physio, please do it. Massage and manipulation of the affected area helps so much.

Please stay positive. It takes time. A lot of time.

Cibby x

• Posted

Hi Cibby. I am thankful for your reply. I also have tightness in my lower leg toward my ankle but as far as I can tell have really good range of movement. I've not come across anyone else who has had a total replacement like me so I've nothing to compare myself with. My surgeon honestly informed me he and his colleagues had never done my op before. When I went into theatre there was 3 surgeons and I was treated as a test/training case for them. I think I'm doing OK BUT I have decided that if he doesn't offer me the NHS physio when I go next week I am going to try an afford to pay private. I'm a little more dissapointed about the lack of advice really as that costs nothing.

• Posted

Yes and no.

Their advice is time which is NHS money. Be assertive and insisting with your consultant.

I had a bad rupture and repair. Now, after 6 months, I can only just walk. My repaired leg has 1/3 stretch and mobility of my good leg.

I do lots of strength and stretch exercises and now only see my private physio every 2 weeks. It really helps. I'm a personal trainer. You have no idea how frustrating this is for me. I haven't worked for 6 months.

Please stay positive. It will get better.

Cibby

• Posted

Hi Denise

As Cibby mentioned Physio is absolutely key and a good private one makes all of the difference.... for your consultant not to arrange this is a little crazy so I would push him for it... if you are in London I can recommend where I went as they were excellent!!

You will probably hear this over and over but time and patience is so important with an injury like this and you just cannot afford to rush as you can quite easily be back to square 1 and rupture it again which is the last thing you want!!!

Physio will literally take you step by step and it's impossible to fully recover without one but at the same time a good PT!

All the best with your recovery!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.