When did you walk normal again after being full weight bearing?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was able to be fully weight bearing at 8 weeks, but I still find my ankle to be very tight. I also have a pretty bad limp when walking. When was it that you guys found that you were able to walk fairly normal? Please give me a timeline! 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It varies by person. Try to remember that it's not just your ankle that has to heal - so do the muscles that atrophied over those 8 weeks, and the tendons and ligaments that will have shortened and need stretches and exercises to work normally again. These things are painful and will likely cause you pain. I had an ankle fusion 6 months ago and I still have alot of pain sometimes and other times I have none. I have physio every week to help with my muscle recovery.

The best advice I can give you is this : Walk as slow as you need in order to walk without a limp. If you walk too fast you will limp and this will cause problems with your lower back, hips and other joints. So don't limp. Limping is caused by pain in the absence of a shorter leg, so if it's too painful to walk without a limp then you need to practice with crutches. Do not limp. Take pain killers if you need but don't limp.

I wish you luck.

• Posted

It's nearly 2 months since I had my plaster removed, and I'm still in constant pain when walking (not to mention the swelling, stiffness in my toes and a MASSIVE limp!).

Gillyjoo's advice is spot on. I've learnt that the phrase "don't run before you can walk" is literally accurate!

• Posted

I'm 19 weeks fall, 17 weeks post op, and about 4 weight bearing. Tons of swelling, tons of pain when walking. I rotate between boot, no boot, 2 crutches to take a bit of weight off, 1 crutch, then no crutch and the Frankenstein shuffle. Some ppl seem to bounce right back, and others take longer. I'm sure age is a factor for some of us, I'm 47, just not as bouncy as I used to be, although I convinced myself when my cast came off I would just start walking like a pro, lol...one day at a time.

• Posted

Hi Kim

I was exactly the same!  As soon as my plaster was removed, I expected to be going straight back to my 10 mile doggie walks.  I do think age is a definite factor (although I hate admitting it!!).

The problem isn't my ankle per se, that seems to have healed perfectly.  My biggest problem is my toes and the top of my foot (I'm presuming my tendons, ligaments).  

I wasn't offered any physio by the fracture clinic, but there's some great tutorials on YouTube that I use (not as much as I probably should though!).

I'm thinking of taking Gillyjoo's advice and investing in a pair of crutches.  I think I'm maybe doing too much, too soon.

Wishing you a speedy recovery, in this long and tedious process smile

• Posted

Hi, I think you should get the crutches, you'll be amazed how much better you walk upright just by taking a small bit of weight off. It definitely slows you down, but my perspective at this point is why am I rushing anyhow, lol. I've gone to physical therapy, it's ok, but I can definitely do the exact exercises at home. Slow and steady wins the race, haha. Hope you get feeling better soon too!

• Posted

Broken,

At 8 weeks a limp is not extraordinary-- it usually passes rather quickly. If you have a lot of pain and swelling too then that ups the ante.

I presume you are swelling and pain-free so at this stage so you should of course be in an aggressive ankle rehab program with appropriate physiotherapy.

As often happens, soft tissue structures like ligaments and tendons suffer damage along with an ankle fracture, so physiotherapy is supposed to strengthen and stabilize them.

If you are hoping innocently you will restore full ankle function with no chronic problems just by resuming walking and normal activities think again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.