When did your depersonalization/derealization go away?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been on Zoloft for a month now and am currently almost 2 weeks into my 50mg dosage. My anxiety has gotten a lot better, compared to what it used to be. I'm still anxious every day but it's not as bad as it was before. The only thing causing me actual anxiety right now is this depersonalization and derealization. It's such a strange feeling of...feeling like I'm constantly dreaming, not in reality, not fully in my body and generally very out of it mentally. I'm also sick so I know that's made this feeling a lot worse. But I was just wondering when this feeling went away for some of you that have had it as a side effect from the Zoloft? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alex, I experienced for 1-2 weeks as I was getting better. It's a most disconcerting feeling, almost like your head is not attached to your body and you feel like you have no personality. It's a strange state of being. Hang in there. It appears to be a side effect of zoloft and should not last for a long time. Xx

• Posted

AlexAD,

I too have been on Zoloft 50mg 3 weeks now. Terrible, terrible side effects.

Went back to my GP today and they infomred me to go to 25mg daily and use Ativan to get me through the really bad anxiety/panic attacks. Tonight will be my first try on the 25mg. I do feel that finally after 3 weeks the Zoloft is treating my anxiety, but the side effects was almost worse. Yes, the depersonalization and derealization does get better. Try using every positive technique you can to get throught this tough time. I just keep reassuring myself that this is temporary and now that I have a plan I can breathe and turn my mind off, somewhat........The side effects will subside over time. Take each day by day and focus on the positive. I am sure that once once you overcome your sickness that your body and mind can focus on getting better. Good luck and keep us posted.

• Posted

Hi. I found the sertraline helped fix this for me

I was in my own horrible world for a few weeks and couldn't relate to anybody or anything

8 weeks of sertraline or maybe I just came out of it but feel more connected

I also did cbt which I think helped more than I knew

• Posted

I'm also in the process of going through CBT. In your experience, how many sessions did it take for you to realize that it was really making a difference? 

• Posted

Hi

I have 5 sessions over 5 weeks. I found it useful to say exactly what I was thinking to someone independent and confidential

After 4 sessions I was thinking they weren't particularly useful but in the last couple of weeks I think the positivity the psychologist pushed at me began to resonant. Maybe I could have got there myself but the state I had was in meant I did have an open mind to self positivity. Therefore although it wasn't rocket science in what was said the way all my negative thoughts were gently questioned and pointed in other ways helped me think. So a quicker answer hindsight only thinking I saw that they helped once I started feeling better in last 10 days ( session 5)

• Posted

how long did it take for it to fix it because I been experiencing this for months ans just started on 25 mg of zoloft about 8 days ago

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.