When do antidepressants start to work?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys,

I have being depressed for some years now (I’m 23) and finally I have started to eat some help.two years ago I took citalopram which worked within 4-5 but I stopped taking it due to thinking I wa already better.

Fast forward now.my doctor gave me citalopram again,I took it for like 3-4 weeks and nothing happened..upped the dosage and nothing happened again.

Now I am on sertaline and i haven’t seen it work yet? I have being on it for like 4/5 weeks (I think 50mg) my doctor then told me to increase the dosage to 150,being doing this for like 3/4 still nothing works.

I am losing hoping and thinking I’ll be like this forever.

Am I immune to antidepressants ???

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tim.

my advice would be to give the new meds a couple more weeks hopefully you will see and feel an improvement in yourself.

im 40 and it’s taken a lot of different ones over it maybe a case of finding the right one for you.

gang in there give it time, if no change go back to your dr for advice.

i hope you feel better soon.

take care 

Vicky 🌈

• Posted

Ohh hi again Tim🙂

of course I meant hang in there.

you may need more time with this medication 

take care 

vicky🌈

• Posted

Hi Tim I agree with others I think you need to give the meds longer to work. It's easy to get discouraged and I get that but give them a while longer then run it by your doc. Good luck. Keep us posted. Diane. 

• Posted

Hi Diane,

I’m not sure if anything is even happening,feels like a waste of time.today I feel like total s**t,can’t concentrate,bad temper and don’t wanna leave my bed.I genuinely don’t see myself improving ever ☹️

• Posted

Hi Tim I so get that. That's the depression talking it wants to hold us down make us think that we will feel this way forever that we don't deserve a good life with peace inside. But Tim don't buy into the lie of the disease of depression. Stay in bed watch a movie go for a walk read a book and when your thoughts say that you will not get any better say STOP! I will get better! You will not win! Keep me posted please. Diane 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.