When do bowels return to normal?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been doing much better in last two days as far as pain. No pain for 2 full days in abdomen after over a month of constant daily pain. I am hoping this is over but now I am back to constipated after diarrhea for a week. When do the bowels return to normal or is this going to be there forever? I would have thought once pain was gone the bowels returned to normal.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah, glad you're feeling good now. Hope it lasts for a long while but ibs acts differently with each one of us. Emotions, stress, wrong foods, viruses all play a part in our flares. This is a sneeky syndrome. Just when we think we are onto something that helps, the symptoms take a different turn. What may work for some may not work for others. What may work for us one time may not work again.

With me it's food and med intolerances and being so vulnerable to stomach viruses.

Lets hope you are one of those who can follow a regimen that will always work for you.

• Posted

Audrey,

I spoke too soon. I went for a walk and ended up having stomach cramps and the rest... well you probably know. Like you though I am really concerned some of my symptoms have to do with my doc putting me on omeprazole. I am anxious, panicky, my heart rate is high, dizzy. None of it started until he out me on that med but he denies it and won't tell me what I can switch to. So the diarrhea could be from that. I don't know what is causing what anymore.

• Posted

Try OTC antacids and milk instead; omeprazole does not suit you. Doctors always deny drug reactions. Listen to your own body Ask your chemist about the different antacids available. I would advise changing your doctor to someone more helpful.

• Posted

Pippa,

Going to start looking at my options today. A friend said she switched to zantac so I will likely try that.

• Posted

Yes Sarah I get those symptoms too. Yes also to the fact that Drs. will try to sugar coat the side effects. My Dr. told me that Cholestyramine has no side effects but in reality it has the exact same symptoms I am experiencing with ibs, post gallbladder surgery and possible gastritis and ulcer, gerd. You have to be aware of this when being prescribed meds.

• Posted

Audrey,

My dilemma is finding something that will cure the ulcer or gastritis the doc believes I have. I need an endoscopy to know for sure but currently my mental state won't allow it. So many panic attacks right now, Barely made it through the ct scan.

• Posted

yes omeprazole is causing my stomach problems I have really bad IBS and I get really bad flare ups so right now I'm trying to deal with that but I stop Omeprazole 2 years ago and I'm still feeling the after-effects stay away from that Med I was on it for 10 years and now I'm a total mess

• Posted

It takes time for an IBS flare up to settle down. Try to stay as calm as possible which will help to lessen symptoms and keep,them in remission for longer. There is no set time for everything to settle down; everyone recovers at different rates.

• Posted

Pippa,

Is digestive system tightening ibs or is that something new I need to report? A week ago I started getting a tight feeling in my colon. To show my husband it was not in my head he felt it and said it was hard but then it would relax. Now sometimes my whole digestive system will do it at once, today was the first time it did it and actually hurt otherwise it is a contracted tight feeling like when a muscle cramps and then releases.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.