when do I choose sedative or no sedative?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm due to have a gasteroscopy some time and it's all been explained to me but I don't know when you get to decide whether you want sedation or not. Presumably it has to be before the day of the procedure because you need to set up someone to take you home and stay with you if you have been sedated. I am equally terrified of both – I can't even swallow a paracetamol without a huge coughing fuss and I hate feeling dependent on people, I live alone, I don't want to be "looked after" if I'm woozy... I don't know what to do but there doesn't seem to be an opportunity to discuss this with someone at the hospital – any advice? Other than say I don't want it done! – and then they want me to have a 24 hour "manometry" which sounds even worse!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I opted for no sedation and that would be my choice again but, as you say, if you're not sure whether or not you will have sedation you do need back up for driving back home.

I'm in UK and I was able to make my choice on the day having first been given an illustrated " what will happen" leaflet.

Re the swallowing you will have your throat sprayed to relax the muscles which imagine is to help you to get the camera down. It felt like swalowing a piece of dry bread.

Best of luck.

• Posted

I'm the UK too but I'm just uneasy about making the choice on the day – because you can't, if you need someone to drive you home, you have to choose before talking to the people who are actually going to do the procedure.

My ex had it (to confirm coeliac's) – the first time was impossible so they sedated him heavily the second time and apparently he tried to hit the nurse! – he doesn't remember, fortunately.

• Posted

I drove myself there and then 'phoned my backup to say I wouldn't need her. I was fortunate to have a friend who didn't mind committing her time and also her husband who would have driven my car home but I can see that might not work for everyone.

• Posted

Hi Sue,

I had one with sedation and one without.

Go for sedation.

• Posted

It's the idea of not knowing what's happening that worries me but that's just me. When I had an epidural and just sedation, rather than a full GA, for a hip replacement I was amazed at how easily it went but I think the anaesthetist understood what my fears were and cleverly tricked me. " Just hold this for me for a minute" he said, giving me the mask. Wh..oo..f and I was waking up and it was all done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.