When do you go to hospital?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had or known about these episodes for under 2 years now. I say known as when I have a episode my HR is normally around 120. I started wearing a fitbit recently so that's when I found out.

I feel perfectly fine other then a feeling that my heart is beating a little faster.

Sometimes it gets reset after 1 or 2 valsalva manoeuvres and sometimes it takes 2hrs and 10 attempts. I normally don't leave it any longer and end up going to ER which has happened 2 out of say 10 times.

My cardio put me on 2.5mg Bisprolol which I can't say has helped or not as I am still getting them every couple of months.

My question is that I have read people just letting it be as long as they feel fine and it eventually resets itself. Is that fine? Are you doing any damage by doing that?

Normally I would end up going in after 2-3 hrs but say if you are in the middle of a flight or 3-4hrs from the closest hospital which happens to me sometimes is it ok to just wait it out when the HR is around 120? I am mid 40s and generally fit and well.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have had SVT my whole life with frequent episodes (some lasting hours) and have never gone to the ER for it. I am also typically asymptomatic other than feeling palpitations/fast HR. One doctor had told me not to let it go for more than a day, and another suggested going to the ER after 30 minutes...so I guess it's a matter of preference and comfort. If you are otherwise healthy and don't experience other symptoms (like fainting as a result of the fast HR), SVT in itself is typically not life-threatening.

• Posted

I travel quite often for work and often the flights are ultra long haul so 12hrs on a flight plus 3-4hrs at airports etc. So say if it happens on a flight and I am sure it would reset with the manoeuvres but if it doesn't can I just let it be and stop stressing. I am sure the anxiety that comes with it would make it worse.

As I said earlier I am early 40s generally fit and well.

Am I wrong at looking at it this way that my HR is normally around 120-130 when I have it and that is similar to when I go for a walk. So I guess its like a 10hr walk which would just tire you out but not cause any long term damage.

• Posted

Have you officially been diagnosed with SVT? SVT is typically heart rates 150+. The EP compared an SVT episode to running a marathon (where your heart can tolerate having an elevated HR for an extended period of time), so the way you're looking at it makes sense!

• Edited

I have had svt since 2016. i have gone for 3 attempted ablations but have never been ablated. Long story......

I get between 6-12 episodes each week. Sometimes I can revert in 3-5 minutes others have gone for over 6 hours.

When this started for me in 2016, I went to emerg 2x.

Both times i reverted before any any medicai interventions was done.

The first times i reverted was after a chest exray, and the other time, they wanted me to have adenosine. I did not want it, but finally agreed. I told me that I really needed to pee before i had it, so i was unhooked to go .

With my long episodes i pee like crazy ( quite common). I peed for ever. Then when i came back to get hooked up again, my hr was 74. Yea!!!!!!

So now, even after so many episodes, I do not go to the hospital. I have so many maneuvers I can do.

By the way, my types of svt is AT. I was origionally told it was AVNRT, but after having an EP study, they found out it was AT

Sometimes i can stop it with one maneuver, and other times it do several and nothing happens.

I just keep doing different ones until something works.

I was told as long as you do not have any other heart issues, it was just fine

I am always told it is not life threatening. BUT, It is life altering!!!!!!!!!

• Posted

If it happens at night do you sleep on it?

• Posted

For me, when it does initiate while I'm sleeping, the fast heart rate will usually wake me up. (I would then try to stop it with a Vagal maneuver, etc.)

• Posted

I have to go to the ER as soon as possible because my heart rate goes over 200 bpm.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.