When do you know if citalopram just isn't working?

Posted , 18 users are following.

I am in that panicked state of ruminating about whether citalopram just isn't working for me or whether I haven't given it enough time.

I finished week 12 - 1 week on 10mg, 7 weeks on 20mg, 4 weeks at 30 mgs. I have experienced almost every side effect possible but they seem to be slowly lessoning.

The thing is, I just don't feel better. I have some moments yes, like an afternoon, where I feel a bit more motivated and hopefull. But then I go to sleep and wake up with the crushing anxiety and am dazed and depressed until the evening.

I am on a medical leave from my job and my next follow up is april 20 where we will evaluate the meds and whether I am able to return to work. I totally do not feel ready to return to my uber stressful job as a social worker (dealing with other people's problems when you are drowning in your own is tough!!!) but I feel internal pressure to have this sorted out and fixed. Do I continue with the cit or do I jump ship?

Also what I am ruminating about is that when I was 18 I was put on Celexa and Wellbutrin but I ended up being switched to Effexor because I didn't seem to be getting much from the Celexa but from what I recall, I really didn't try the Celexa for that long. The Effexor helped but I experienced horrible brain zaps/electrical shocks in my brain. So I am wondering if citalopram just doesn't work for me?

How do you know if the citalopram just isn't working or if you just haven't given it enough time?

Thanks for listening to my little spazz out smile

1 like, 827 replies

827 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

For all of you that have upped to 30 mg how did that go? Did it help and did the side effects get worse? I was in 10 for 2 weeks then 20 for 2 weeks and now I am supposed to start 30 mg but I am worried about going up. Any advice from people have upped it quickly like that?
    • Posted

Hello Amanda. That seems to be fast for goin up again. Not sure if you get the benefits of the 20's b4 U go up to 30's. Seek out Katecogs on this forum and ask her what she feels. She's a real wealth of knowledge when it comes to Cit. Sure helped a lot of ppl in here thats for sure. Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.