When do you stop using crutches

Posted , 15 users are following.

HI 3 weeks post op total hip replacement i am down to using one crutch, when did you stop using them, my muscles are still sore i can stand still without them but not put full weight to walk without help

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I am 4 weeks post op. I was lucky enough to be on one crutch at 10 days and now no crutches at home just take one when out so people can see i may be fragile. Remember we all heal differently and there is no wrong or right to timescales. Use them as long as you feel you need them as its a long overall process. Do your exercises and walk as much as you can to rebuild muscles that may not have been used for some time.

• Posted

Hi Cazy

Be careful going of the crutches too early. I'm 4 weeks after op and was down to 1 crutch after 2.5 weeks but started getting back pain. Physio told me its normally 6 weeks for 2 crutches as your balance isnt right and your back can suffer

As has been said on this forum before

Slow and steady wins the race!

So i take both crutches out when walking and use 1 around the house. Everyone heals differently so take it easy.

Mary

• Posted

Strange as my Physio took my one crutch off me and asked me to walk crutch free after 2 weeks?

• Posted

I started using one crunch about 2 week mark but what I found was that is affected my back on the opposite side of my operation,

went back to using 2 then at about 5 weeks I started using a stick.

• Posted

Hi, I am 13 weeks past OP and still on one crutch when I go outsite and on 2 if i go for a longer walk.

But inside the house I don't need crutches.

it is very important to do the exercises regular. that really helps.

i was off crutches for short walks about 8 weeks post OP but then I went back to work and driving every day and then sitting at the desk all day made it worse again. thats the reason why I use crutches again.

Petra

• Posted

Whenever you are walking properly - NOT before. It is different for everyone, don't be in too much of a hurry to get rid of them, you have them because you need them.

• Posted

6 weeks is standard it appears. Also depends on the surgical approach used. I used one after two weeks or so quite nifty around the house, but take advice, back pain seems a common complaint. You want to feel confident not rushed

• Posted

I stopped using mine as soon as I got out of hospital as I was rubbish with them. I used a stick outside and furniture surfed in the house. I am sure what I did is not recommended, so don't do what I do!

• Posted

Was told by someone that his surgeon was most unhappy when he walked in for his six week check up on one crutch.

• Posted

The best answer I've heard to this kinda question is ... you can stop when you forget to use a crunch when moving around and going outside ...

One day, you'll just forget to grab the crutch ... and you'll be shocked that you walked as far as you did as well as you did.

Another angle: there is no answer to your question. There is only an answer for YOU and your hip recovery. I came off cane at about 9 weeks ... but I have read of many people who ditched their cane after 4 weeks ...

• Posted

Hi Cazy,

I used one crutch until about week 12 when out, as it was uncomfortable where the implant was implanted in the bone, it made me limp. I did not want to rush, so used the crutch until it felt 'right'.

• Posted

Hi, I was on one crutch inside at 3 weeks, went to physio and she said to me get rid of that crutch! Made me walk up and down the corridor with out one. I was fully off at 5.5 weeks. never had a stick either. When I went back to work, if I got tired, I used to veer off to one side and had to stop and straighten myself up. Keep up with the exercises they are so important to recovery. Im just over 3 years on now and the hip is brilliant, no damage when I fell and fractured humerus in October. First thing I thought after fall was is my hip working, it was fine. Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Hi

I had my op in January 2017 so am 2 years down the road.

I was on crutches until I went for my physio appointment 1 week after the op where she gave me 2 sticks which I found easier. She showed me how to use them correctly and said never use only 1 as it unbalanced you and will make you walk unevenly.

Regarding how long you need them for, I always took them with me when I went out walking and really used them like nordic walking poles. I was walking quite briskly and probably could have managed without them. It also helped when trying to cross the road as most drivers were very kind and stopped for me. I eventually stopped using them when I went back to work as a tour guide and forgot to take them out with me. I realised that I could cope without them. I think it was about March.

At the end of the day it's up to you and how you feel. Don't rush to get off crutches or sticks, healing takes time.

• Posted

HI, as with John I was lucky enough to be generally down to 1 on day 12, this was advised by my Surgeon during the staple removal appointment, now on day 15 and mainly using none at home and one outside, after exercise and 1st thing in the morning the muscles feel slightly weaker so revert to one at home, everyone's body is different and I think its a case of listening to the body.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.