When does lymph classify as swollen and when should i worry ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys,

I noticed some lumps and i researched seems like its lymph nodes in those areas, i have it in my upper neck/under chin close to neck and felt another one in groin area on right side [I thought they are just Varicose veins in my groin but seems like its in exact place where lymph nodes are.

They are kind of hard, i can move them etc it started when i was having pain while doing exercise in hip so was touching my hip and found that out, so i dont know how long i had it but since i noticed till now its about 1 month i would say.

They are no bigger than 1cm and doesnt seem to get bigger but it just annoys me that i can feel it when i touch it .

When shouldi start to worry? Is it swollen lymph node or just normal node how big should it get to start worrying ?

Thanks 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hiya,

Lymph nodes swell up for all sorts of reasons, but a general rule of thumb, if you've had it for more than about 4 weeks it's a good idea to get it checked - not necessarily because it's anything super sinister, but sometimes lymph nodes get infected and you need antibiotics to get rid of it. I remember my nurse friend said to me when mine swelled up that it would either get better and go away, or get much worse if it doesn't fight off the infection, and if that happened then I'd need to get antibiotics.

So if you've had it for about a month, I'd suggest seeing a doctor, and try not to worry. No increase in size and it being mobile are both very good signs!

• Posted

I can feel mine too. Some people can.

Just make sure they don’t get any bigger. If you can still feel them in a month you may wanna have a doctor check them out just for piece of mind but I doubt it’s anything serious.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.