When does PHN get diagnosed? Hard and fast rules?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Yes, I'm back with more questions, but I hope this will help others too. I was told by my doctor that I had PHN, yet I still have the skin eruptions. I won't call it a rash, one section is so minor and scattered, the other is typical shingles vessicles.  So it seems I do NOT have PHN. It was bout 12 days post initial symptoms when he gave that dx.

Most info seems to be that PHN is after the rash is "gone". Does that mean 100% clear? No signs of anything? Is it a new type of pain that develops, or still lingering pain from the previous shingles that exists after the rash is gone?

If I don't have PHN, will the Gabapentin still have a positive effect? It seems that it does definitely help decrease the pain. I'm still on the up side of increasing them, only just started 900 mgs/day yesterday.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have posted this information before, I don't know if you've seen it or not. However, I thought you might find it helpful. I'm not a doctor but I think that you have reoccurring shingles a lot of people on this site do including myself. I have probably had shingles at least 30 times starting at the age of 12. Also, during both my pregnancies. As I get older I seem to have it more frequently unfortunately. I have also had the shingles vaccine which only worked for about nine months then I had a case of shingles that was the worst I've ever had! Other than have a reoccurring shingles there is nothing else wrong with me. I'm very fit and healthy otherwise. I just want to let you know that you're not alone if you're having reoccurring shingles. Here is the information that you might find helpful my apologies that is so long but shingles is a very complicated thing...

For decades, medical wisdom about shingles has been that it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience. The commonly-held belief is that patients are protected from a recurrence of the herpes zoster virus, which causes shingles, after one episode. But according to recent research and/or studies about shingles they have found that this is not true. For example, a study published in the February 2011 issue of the Mayo Clinic Proceedings shows that recurrences of shingles may be significantly more common than doctors have suspected. New Medical Studies have found and prove that recurrences of shingles are prevalent in the immunocompetent population.   "It's been thought that recurrences were limited to people with compromised immune systems, for instance from chemotherapy or bloodborne malignancies, but this is not the case," "Recurrence was prevalent in the immunocompetent population. We were very surprised by the results." Unfortunately, alot of doctors are not up-to-date on the most recent research about shingles. There is still so much that the medical community needs to learn about shingles. "Shingles has a mind of its own and does what it wants to do".

The bottom line is No One Knows exactly what causes a reactivation of the virus! If they knew exactly what caused it there probably wouldn't be this forum. You could have a good immune system and get it. You may also have a poor immune system and get it. It is also common to have reoccurring shingles if you have an auto immune disorder for example, lupus or MS. Some of the other speculations / research published in medical journals suggest these things may contribute to reactivation of the virus but like I said before they do not know for sure.  1). Having experienced injuries or nerve damage also seems to raise the risk for shingles, since within the nerves is where the virus lays dormant. 2). Some research suggests that traumatic stimulation of the nerves in the dorsal root ganglion can trigger the virus to reactive. 3). Some people also seem to be genetically predisposed to the development of herpes zoster to some extent, with research showing that changes in the gene for interleukin-10 (an immune-system mediator) are associated with an increased incidence of herpes zoster, as is a family history of the virus. 4).  Finally, the impact of high amounts of stress and poor gut health shouldn’t be overlooked. Psychological stress, chronic stress, or dramatic life events seem to contribute to VZV reactivation, with studies showing an association between physical, emotional and sexual abuse and higher incidence of shingles. According to a report published in the Journal of Infectious Diseases, contributing psychological factors for shingles development include financial stress, inability to work, decreased independence and an inadequate social-support environment.

• Posted

Wow. Thank you!

I am trying to get my head around

immunocompetent! This is the first time that I have read about this group! Ib fact, the first time I read the sentence, I hesitated because I thought it was a typo!

• Posted

I've had this for going on 3 months. This definitely Is a Scary thing to have. They have controlled most of The pain With exception behind my eye. I spend most of my time on the sofa laying down. Just remember it will get better Even though it doesn't seem like it sometimes. I definitely know how you feel good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.