when does recovery start fluoxetine?

Posted , 2 users are following.

now heres a question regarding fluoxetine?now the "experts"say fluoxetine generally takes 10/12 weeks to show good reaction to the meds for pure O ocd?(which is im 99%certain ive got)started at 20mg for 1 week?then 40mg for next 4 weeks? THEN put on 60mg from 6 weeks to present day?the"experts"say 60mg is the BETTER dose for pure O ocd?so thearetically do i count my "recovery"from the first time i took fluoxetine? OR from the first time i started 60mg?in other words?do i NOT count the time i was on 20mg/40mg?but start from the FIRST time i started on 60mg(the "experts") reccomended dose for pure O ocd?answers appreciated as im unsure when to "assume"when my recovery started?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Ah, the good old experts again. This is quite a common question and one that perplexes everyone. Doctors etc always underestimate the time it takes for these meds to work and think they'll work like other types of meds. Nope.

Though your doctors always knows best, I always say take whatever timespan they give you with a pinch of salt. If he says 6 weeks then count that as 6 months. There is no one true timespan for all - its often around 3 months when people start noticing small changes, not when they’re completely better, but as said we’re all different. It took me 6 months to recover on a differnt SSRI (and again I noticed changes at 3 months), and some people take even longer and some quicker.

You start counting from the very first dose on your first day. That’s day 1.

Just give the meds time - lots and lots of time, and then give them even more time. Let them work for you in their own time and don’t compare your timespan to others. Just keep going.

Hope that helps xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.