When does sertraline actually kick in?

Posted , 55 users are following.

Hi to you all,

I've had panic disorder with agoraphobia for over 20 years. I was on the highest dose of Duloxetine for approximately 10 years, but recently my GP took me off this, as I was beginning to have many episodes of panic attacks.

I started taking 25mg of sertraline 18 days ago. Since then the GP has raised the dose to 50 mg and then on day 14 of taking sertraline she raised it again to 75mg. I wondered if anybody knows how long it takes to get in to the system. I currently feel more anxious and highly agitated. I'm finding it hard to leave the house. Any advise would be welcome, as would any information on this medication. I need to start feeling better soon, as I am self employed and need to earn some money. This is also adding to my anxiety!

Thanks!

7 likes, 106 replies

106 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi I am new here I take remeron, lyrica,elavil,and seroquel at night. I know that is a lot of medication but it had helped me work and have a life. But recently started having panic attacks that interfered with my job and driving. They started me on Zoloft I am on 50 mg and have been on it for for 3 weeks. There are short periods where I feel "ok" but hope it starts getting be better
  • Posted

I am wondering the same. I have suffered on and off with mild to chronic depression and anxiety since a bad car accident in 1992. This has caused me many problems in my last two jobs, and I am currently going through a harassment case with my employer as I feel they bullied and harassed me during the 6 months I have been there. Due to this, my dr has moved me from 30mg citalopram to 200mg setraline? Crossover went form 20mg citalopram and 50mg setraline for two days then 10mg citalopram and 100mg setraline 4 days then no citalopram and 150mg setraline for 4 days then 200mg setraline .it has been about 2 weeks now and o am feeling pretty low, have little get up and go, could sit and watch a wall all day, and mean while, I am not working, stressing about money for my 4 kids and wife and feels pretty bleak. Feel like a freak that can't get a hold on life😪 and wonder if I will ever be smiling and working with energy. I am 40 years of age and this has bugged me since I was 18
    • Posted

Just seen your post just and it sounds same as me have you improved yet ?
    • Posted

Hi Don

i think you sent me a msg but the moderator deleted it.  How are you faring today.  Had a bad morning but ok now. Interesting how ones moods are so up and down.

• Posted

I've been on Zoloft about 10 yrs but only at 50 mg. My fiance died. I guess it helped somewhat. But currently the panic attacks have started and dr. raised it to 100 mg. almost 3 weeks. I don't see anything yet. Hoping for a miracle here.
    • Posted

Same here 1 minute I'm ok then just go in to deppressive mood and negative thinking having a week away hopefully things will get better going to stick with the meds though sounds like it can take up to 12 weeks for some people from what ive read on here
    • Posted

I guess we all have to try and wait it out, hopefullly it will make a difference soon. Driving myself crazy.

• Posted

Did they work before for u ? And how long did it take then ? Have u had any cbt or counciling ?
    • Posted

R u having negative thoughts ?
  • Posted

Sorry to hear you are feeling so bad. I feel each SSRI's is so different, if you feel that nothing is improving another chat with your DR is needed. You have so much responsibility it is overwhelming I hope you are speaking to someone that can help with all your worries. I have had a lot of problems with depression and there is light at the end of the tunnel, it's not easy. Your body has shut you down to protect you, just relax and be kind to yourself our minds need time to recoup, my thoughts are with you and can always chat
    • Posted

Thanks.

I still get on with life , but do feel this cloud is always there .like moarning a loss but there isn't one ?

Dr has asked I give the 200mg setraline another two weeks then they may decrease the dose.

• Posted

It is a breavement, you describe it well. You feel like you have lost yourself, get him back I bet he was a great bloke
    • Posted

Yup. I was a very carefree person many years ago. But depression has had hold on and off for 20 or so years. constantly researching and trying to find the answer. Analysis paralysis etc.
    • Posted

I consider myself to be of just above average intelligence, like you I have researched soo much and I worked in the NHS, I never thought it would happen to me, I was a strong character, never carefree, I was a very dutiful, conforming type. Very motivated. Something happened to me and I cannot understand it even now, ashift happened in my brain, my life became incredibly difficult. I fely ashamed because I thought it was stupid that I felt that way. Over time I have made changes to my life some big some small, some very traumatic some trivial. Now I am a different person but I quite like me, I have battled through and survived. We under estimate the power of the mind for good and evil. I , like you had a lot of responsibility. The answers are within you, you just need time to sort the huge knot of emotions and problems. I didn't want it o be about me but you may find whatIi say helpful, you may not, forgive me if you think it is  a load of rubbish
    • Posted

No not at all. Everything from others in similar situations is a great help to know, thankyou. I do feel 200mg of setraline is high, the highest you can take , but Dr wants me to sit it out

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.