When does the burning after tkr end?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had right tkr six weeks ago. I am progressing in PT and am back at work. Still wake up every 2-3 hours but at least it's in my own bed. Spent the first three weeks in the lazyboy. We are taking a cruise to Alaska in three weeks and am still experiencing a lot of burning throughout the day, particularly on the outside of my knee and below the knee cap. At what point does this subside. I want to enjoy this trip, it has been on my bucket list for a long time. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Everyone is different, and every TKR is different (I've had 2), but many of us have burning and pain for many weeks.  Sometimes months.  A cruise may be a bit ambitious at 9 weeks, to be honest.

I hope that you have an easy recovery.

Patsy

1st TKR Dec 2012...2nd TKR Sept 2015.

• Posted

Its the nerves waking up and general inflammation post major surgery that causes this burning feeling. Ice will help and i also found massaging arnica cream into burning areas helpful. But it does last a few weeks - think it was about 8 weeks for me before the burning feeling began to recede properly. Hope it resolves in time for you to enjoy your cruise!! But back to work in 6 weeks?????? That seems far far too soon??
  • Posted

Thanks tess94652. Yes ice helps and I have been using Arnica since the first week. Weekly massages have been a godsend. I don't know how people recovery without them. Work is ok, I can ice with my feet up whenever I need to, or nap. It's a good gig. I have three more weeks til the cruise so I am hopeful things will calm down more by then. 
  • Posted

Fifteen weeks, and although the burning pain in the thigh had subsided for a couple of weeks, it's back now. . .so it is a biu of see saw recovery  Hope you enjoy your cruise. . We've done 27, all over the world, and it's a great way to see new places with the minimum of effort!  Provided you don't get any really rough weather, I think you'll be able to enjoy it, as it can be as relaxing or as energetic as your knee will allow!
  • Posted

We won the cruise just b4 I went into the hospital. Wasn't about to turn it down. Even if I sit and watch ten scenery it will be perfect
    • Posted

If it's one of the new huge ships, you'll get your exercise walking from your cabin to the dining room!  Last cruise I was on was before the TKR, nd it was a real struggle!  Cabin was right in the stern, and dining room was right in the bows!  what a great win . . !  Ialways sleep better on a ship than at home so perhaps you'll get somemore sleep than usual . . 
    • Posted

Wow, lucky you. Sounds like a great way to rehabilitate, sitting on deck, great food, been pampered. Have a fabulous time.
    • Posted

Yeah, off for five weeks from work, work for a month and then go on vacation. Boss wasn't happy but oh well. I have the time so they cant say no. 
  • Posted

I had both knees done 8 weeks ago and I am farther on the road to recovery. Still get up at night, but not as often as when 6 weeks. Still have the annoying knee ache on outside and below knee cap. Would I travel far in  9 weeks. My guess is much will be ok and some u will wish u were home. I would not want to fly far. Also, if a lot of walking, u will get a bit tired.

then again, I am judging that I had both legs done. Good. Luck. Take an ice bag. smile

• Posted

The cruise sounds lovely! I bet you have a great time.  Obviously you'll have to take your knee with you but so long as you take your rehab routine too I expect you'll be fine. You can do your exercises and some walking on the boat and it will be straightforward to get some ice packs chilled by the crew I am sure.  So long as you take painkillers with you it will be a beautiful change of scenery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.