When does the pain Stop?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a partial right knee replacement on April

26 and develop bursitis after wasvtreated with s cortisone injection two weeks out now week 6 with 13 days left before 8 weeks and doc visit! In pain most of the time it never stops some days the pain is quieter but the pain goes to the foot sometimes still icing and taking Tylenol! The pain is mind boggling any suggestions using creams too! Have not driven since it is my right knee, how sponsor! I am walking okay,can stretch leg out and lift it up and bend it! I can put socks on without help I am really a little disgusted because the pain is still constant

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Are you elevating "toes above nose"? Is it still very swollen?

• Posted

Not too swollen, elevating some nut not that high in recliner that elevates foot and head down very low once up the pain continues cannot stay all day in chair! They say to walk and move about!
    • Posted

Indeed...are you using support, i.e. crutch or stick to task some pressure off when you walk. This may help.
  • Posted

Check for interactions but Voltaren Gel is the second-best topical anti-inflammatory on the planet RX in the US.  Used it after my hip replacement and for bursitis over the years.  Used it on my TKR before bed.  Better than any OTC cream or ointment.
    • Posted

It does not help the pain still persists! I tried to use four times a day
    • Posted

I had hoped that would work for you...

I have a very high tolerance to opioids so my meds only took the edge off and really never gave me a lot of pain relief.  I just toughed it out the first 60 days until it eased up...which it will definitely do.  Are you still on your RX meds?  If you're in bad pain, the doc should refill the meds.

• Posted

Just thinking about your original question...

"When does the pain stop?"

The true answer is: "When it stops."  I know it's very Zen but it's the absolute truth.  Everyone is so different that you cannot put a time on it.  No matter what I or anyone else says about "most people" or even our own stories, nothing really applies to you but your own experience which may be average or grossly shorter or longer than that "average".  You will only know the answer after you're past it and realize where you actually fell on that time scale.  Cannot see the end from the middle...just can't.

You have to do everything possible to reduce your pain until you are past it...and you WILL be past it.  Nothing lasts forever.  The light at the end of the tunnel is NOT an oncoming train...you just don't know how many more steps there are for you until you're back in the light and can retrace those steps in your mind.

Deep breath...let go of expectations.  You'll absolutely get through it.  Embrace your recover...OWN IT!!!  You'll be stronger for the experience.

• Posted

Thanks for the encouraging words! The last two days have been much better with decrease pain! I feel as if I should be doing more! My help will be leaving to return home and so I will have to cook but no cleaning thank God! My daughter's housekeeper comes once week! This week I will try scheduling busy work if I can. I have a sick husband who is receiving Chemo today was last IV Chemo until July so I have to move! It may keep me from feeling sad and depress!' Thanks for all the advice!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.