When I am sleeping ... Sudden awakening. Without breathing. Convulsions.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everybody. First of all thanks for your atenttion, and secondly sorry if my english is not too good, I live in Spain.

I have my problem since years ago, I wake up at nights, and I have convulsions. My mind is aware, but my muscles are sleep. So I have to move my extremities to activate my blood circulation. This things, usually happens with weak feeling, and a lot of times happens with agony. Because if I cant move my extremities (I usually take 1 minit to activate my circulation) I have a very strange episodes in my mind. Like a loss of consciousness, dizziness, etc.

After this Christmas, things have changed for the worse. Now when I lie down in bed, my head starts to hurt but in a very scary way, and I begin to get dizzy. I have to stand on several occasions and start walking so as not to fall to the ground unconscious.

The last episode of seizures, I could not activate my circulation, and I felt like I was dying. I felt literally how my brain began to short circuit. I noticed strange things inside my brain, and my mind was going from one place to another.

My doctor has told me that I may have anxiety, and he has referred me to the psychiatrist. Although I believe I have some hypothesis:

1. I run out of oxygen and start having seizures (not like a epileptic, mines are less vigorous) . Seizures are a symptom of a lack of oxygen. I once saw a video of a man drowning another man to death, and he started to convulse before he died.

2. I have a brain tumor. Because the headaches and paranoia are worrisome.

3. Some nerve in my spine is pinched, and it does not allow my lungs to collect enough oxygen. And from there is trembled and headaches.

4. Acid reflux. Something I've heard about that. But I have no idea to what extent it can cause these symptoms so serious.

I hope you can help me or maybe tell me your similar experience I will be very grateful.

Greetings.

David.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi David.i I’m sorry to hear this is happening. Have you had an MRI on your brain? Are you on medication that can cause this? This sounds somewhat similar to some of the odd seizures I have. Sometimes it’s like a lightning storm is going on in my brain; on two occasions I thought I died, and I often have a hard time if I had a seizure while asleep, in getting up after I wake. If you haven’t had an mri I would recommend that you get one to see if there are any obvious things. I have an arachnoid cyst that causes some issues for me and a hemangioma so I’m waiting for more tests to try to isolate what is coming from where. Also the medication I’m on sometimes gives me similar postdictal experiences so it can be confusing. I’m on topiramate and sadly have a lot of the side effects but really need the medication so I remain on it- side effects and all. Hope that helps. Good luck! Krystal in Canada
    • Posted

Hello Krystal.

Thank you for the answer and sorry for your conditions.

I am not taking any medicine, and I dont make any MRI.

In one month, I have a date with the Psychiatrist of the social security (in Spain we pay taxes and we have "free medical services".

Maybe is anxiety. I have a little bit of heartburn. First I thought that I had something in my lungs. But they make me a X-ray scanner and my lungs are okay. I have pain in one vertebra of the spinal column. In front of the lungs. I dont know...Maybe that make something.

I feel very strange. Like my head is with stress and pain and dizzy. And my body with a rare energy. I dont like this situation. Maybe I have anxiety or depression. I dont know. Have you feel different after the seizures? I have to say that I have a lot of stress since 5 years ago, every day. But I dont (know?) think that stress can cause seizures, and all the strange and worry things that I feel when I am in my bed.

A hug from Spain.

• Posted

David 

Yes I do feel different after seizures and find I am very tired for st least a day or two, an confused, sometimes sick to my stomach, etc. if you can get a scan via mri on your brain I would do that. My spine hurts too in one spot but my neurologist doesn’t know why. I have had X-ray and ct and mri and there is no reason for it to be sore. I have also had a spinal tap but that is invasive. You don’t  start there but I would ask for a mri on your brain. Anxiety and stress can cause a lot of problems but I would like to rule out any cyst or tumor or any other reason. I’m not a doctor though. 

I hope you get it figured out because it’s scary for sure! I feel that my heart or breathing stops but I’m not sure if it actually does because obviously I wake up! I’m strangely aware but it’s odd. It doesn’t happen often thankfully. Seizures are diagnosed as aphasia which are different. Look them up if you are interested as people think of epilepsy when seizures are mentioned but they are nothing similar.  See if that’s  similar. Take care! 

Krystal 

• Posted

Dear David,

Hell from Canada to Spain. I have been to Spain two years ago as apart of a Carnival Cruise on the Vista.

David sounds like a form of seizure to me. CT scan, MRI and either ordinary egg and a sleep deprive egg and maybe meds. NEAD. All you describe about that happens to you is the norm for a seizure. I have been having these for over 4 years now. I wake up during the  night with a aura, vision warning just before a seizure happens. In fact the aura is apart of a seizure. Seizures are nasty! Most seizures play out the same but there are strange odd ones like feeling very cold in your hands and feet or dopey  or they suddenly happen bang now warning. The best for your search for answers    

• Posted

Dear David,

Please excuse my spelling of EEG (egg). I have express my search for my own answer to why I get these seizure by saying I feel like Humpty Dumpty. The children story of the egg that sat on the wall, fell. broke and no one could put him back together again. True one day you are fine and the next day you are not. No doctor has the answer for why. Sorry for the misspelling.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.