When I breathe in chemical fumes/dust/smoke I instantly get cheat pains and it's hard to breathe...

Posted , 2 users are following.

I feel like a lost cause and I dont know what to do anymore. a little over 2 years ago I started working in a laundry. 6 months into the job i started having awful breathing problems only when I was at work. chest pains, shortness of breath, any sort of activity made me so winded. my dr advised me to quit my job which I ended up finally doing after a year of working there. although now my problems still persist outside of that work environment. I became EXTREMELY sensitive to fumes, so sensitive that I could smell things no one else around me could and I would have a reaction to the fume, pain in my chest, shortness of breath, and it just felt like I could not breathe in enough air. I react so badly to almost anything with a scent, perfume, shampoo, body wash, lotion, lumber, cleaning supplies, candles, gas, etc., and any type of smoke and dust. a while ago we bought a brand new cat tree that we had to put together from a box and I could smell a chemical fume that hurt to breathe in from it but my boyfriend said he did not smell anything! I feel so crazy and everyone gives me dirty looks like I'm overreacting, even right now I'm laying with a blanket over my face trying to block myself from breathing in the fumes of a cleaner that my boyfriend used LAST NIGHT to clean something spilled on the carpet. I have gotten the opinions of at least 5 different doctors all of them no help. first the doctor told me i had costcondroitis but during my next checkup visit they took an xray and told me i did not have it. since then my doctors explanations have been allergies, asthma, and anxeity. I have been "treated" for all but none have even slightly helped me. inhalers do nothing but make me feel more out of breath, they had me on that advair inhaler max dose with a rescue inhaler and it did nothing make make me sick! I have been on several anxeity medication that have done nothing. I have had a total of 3 chest xrays, 2 ekgs and 1 heart ultrasound and everything was normal except that I have slight arrhythmia, which my doctor said "that's nothing you need to worry about right now" please someone help. I really can't deal with this anymore, I feel like I'm allergic to life and none of the doctors take me seriously anymore.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Are you getting palpitations?

• Posted

Yes i think I might have. I have had issues with tachycardia and sometimes I will not notice when my heart rate shoots up and if I keep continue to exert myself during those spikes my heart feels like a car motor thumping so hard. I have to sit down and rest and it will go back to normal eventually and its during activity I do on a daily basis, very moderate work. once I measured my heart rate during one of those moments and it was a little over 180, all I was doing was cleaning stalls in a barn.. I've also had problems with a vibrations feeling, probably techniqually called a quiver. a physical therapist had actually felt it once during a session but she seemed just as confused about it as I was. it's not constant but sometimes when I've been having more breathing issues I can feel it several times a day for a few seconds

• Posted

Earlier this year I bought some perfumes and when I opened them and smelled them I couldn't stop coughing. My tongue and lips went white and my throat felt like it was closing up. I started to get really unwell and had really bad breathing problems, but it was because the allergy triggered off an underlying lung condition I wasn't aware of. I had multiple pulmonary emboli which I found out later from a CT scan of my lungs (they don't show up in chest X-rays usually). Just be on the safe side and get a d-dimer blood test and if it comes back high get a CT scan with contrast. I had palpitations, trouble taking in a deep breath, a weird feeling in the back of my throat when swallowing, pin prick and warm feelings in my lungs just under the ribcage, sharp pains from chest to armpit, pins and needles and regular cramps in my leg and foot. I also used to get these electric shock type feelings through my chest that could wake me up from my sleep. Do any of those symptoms sound familiar?

• Posted

some of those are familiar but I dont think I've experienced all of them. I do know that it is hardest for me to breathe in rather than out. most of my pain is localized around my lungs, and I've also had non stop mucus problems too for over a year but it's more of a phlegm in my throat not really a runny nose or congested one. I dont rreally cramp in my legs but I bruise extremely easy in only my legs and have tension issues in my thighs for no apparent reason.

• Posted

Well be on the safe side get a full set of bloods and a d-dimer, just in case you have PEs or a DVT or a blood disorder. Also get a vitamin B12 and vitamin D test vitamin deficiencies can affect your breathing.

• Posted

thanks. I see the doctor tomorrow morning and I will bring it up. I just recently had a bunch of vitamins tested, thyroid check, and blood count and all was normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.