When I drink lager over a longer period I get stomach cramps and need to go toilet loads...why?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I'm hoping you can help me understand why this happens! Whenever I drink lager over a period of time I get stomach cramps and have to go to the toilet but it's not the need for a poo although it feels like it. I just basically release loads of gas and watery stuff. It doesn't happen straightaway and usually kicks in after around 6 hours or so. e.g. yesterday I had 4 pints from midday, went to the match and then went for a couple more drinks around 6pm and then it started.

I am not a big drinker and my lager days are a few and far between but when I do have a day out with my friends it can be quite annoying. If I stop drinking lager the problem stops almost straight away so I know it's not the alcohol but its something to do with lager and whats in it.

I also know the way to stop this is to not drink lager but what I'm really trying to do here is firstly understand why it happens and secondly whether there is anything I can do to alleviate it as I enjoy a few beers every now and again.

Thanks 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Seems your stomach is getting weaker and you need to concentrate on your diet to improve to make it happen what you think.

If you don't do it now you may led to IBS, which is complicated to cure.

Stop alcohol and any drinks like lager for awhile at least 6 months I would say.

• Posted

The best way to allievate your symptoms is to avoid lager since your stomach is reacting to it.  
  • Posted

Hey,

It's probably the sugar content in alcohol!? Maybe you're more sensitive to it than others?

I've always suffered after a night out, not so much a problem now as my going out days are well and truly over with! Maybe try a different drink to see what you can tolerate!?

Not much help I'm sorry!

😋

• Posted

Lager has a very high sugar content, so that's probably what is triggering your reaction. Artificial sweeteners often have the same effect, especially products containing high levels of sorbitol. 

Jan

• Posted

It is nothing to do with sugar. Alcohol is a gastric irritant and stimulant, not to mention toxic to your body. It irritates your digestive tract which causes everything to speed up because your body wants rid of it, hence the diarrhoea.

If it is worse with lager than other drinks then the substance it's made from (not sure if lager is hops etc) could be compounding the effect.

Basically you have to stop drinking lager or put up with the effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.